So you know that I like to wear hats. I wear a hat to church every week. It's my thang! It's what I do. It's part of who I am.....that weird girl who always wears a hat. I love to shop for them. I love to find dresses to complete "the look".
Did you know that the Ritz Carlton in Phoenix has a Festival of Hats every year?
Neither did I...until I visited Craftier in Phoenix. We took the girls for the afternoon tea where the theme was Christmas in July. We had a great time. During the tea, the maitre d, Jeffrey, told us about the Hat Festival.
It is held during the month of August. Any lady who attends tea and wears a hat is entered into different categories, then finalists are selected to return the last Sunday in August for the final judging. The categories are based on decades - 20's and 30's, 40's and 50's.....you get the idea. Craftier insisted that I must come back sometime in August to enter the festival. Luckily, her birthday is in August, so she planned a birthday tea party at the Ritz. Can you believe it?!
Well, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't go back to Phoenix for her birthday party??
I attended her tea party on August 22. It was a wonderful party. I met a few of her Phoenix friends, who were absolutely lovely ladies. We had champagne to toast the birthday girl. We had yummy trays of tiny chicken salad on puff pastry, cucumber with salmon, and other things I didn't taste (I admit the chicken salad had my complete attention!). Then came the scones with fresh cream and lemon curd served in chocolate tulip shaped cups. And the three tier dessert tray? Just gorgeous and sinfully good!
We waited and waited to hear if I made it into the finals. I was checking email every day - including my spam! I finally received a call to say I had made it to the finals and needed to plan to be at the final judging tea at the Ritz Carlton in Phoenix on Sunday the 29th at 3 pm.
Now who do I think I am I to be able to get on a plane from Little Town, Big State to Phoenix TWO weekends in a row? Craftier saved the day for me. She has a "magical mystery ticket" that she gives to a friend each year for a totally fun, sometimes frivolous, travel need. This year, I was lucky enough to get the magical mystery ticket (it's her reward ticket on Southwest....thank goodness Southwest serves an airport near me!)
On Sunday, I will be magically winging my way to Phoenix for the final judging in the Festival of Hats. I am so thankful that I will be able to share another wonderful afternoon with Craftier. I am so excited to enjoy another tea at the Ritz and see all the other hats. If I do well in the festival, it will be the cream on the scone for me! And if I don't, just the memories of this series of incredible events will be an irreplaceable prize.
Wish me luck!
p.s. I am going to look at a house with my MIL today. If all goes as planned, we will be making an offer.
2 comments:
Well beautiful lady...of course you are a finalist!! Have a wonderful time my friend.
How exciting! I do hope you win.
-FringeGirl
Post a Comment