Resolution (noun) - a firm decision to do or not to do something.
I have come to this conclusion: At this point in my life, time is running out on accomplishing "Goals." I'm not pessimistic. Or a doomsday person. I have just decided to see things differently.
That Big Career? The time has long passed for that to happen, assuming I had a Dream Job. Though I know many people who have secondary careers and people who finally decide take the leap to strive for the dream job after becoming financially secure. I'm not sure I've ever had a Dream Job. I am able to do all kinds of jobs, so I don't think the Goal of the Dream Job really applies to me. Certainly not in the way Action has a dream job. I think what I really have is a Dream Lifestyle, which I have lived at certain points in my life, so I'm not exactly late to the party. I just want to have more and more of those moments on a regular basis. The glimpses were good. I want more.
Being Financially Secure? There are degrees of financial security. Time value of money and principals of saving and investing dictate that we start saving and investing when young. Which we did and on a regular basis. We also try to live within a decent standard. We don't drive new cars. We bought a modest house in a modest neighborhood. We try not to be wasteful. We try to be charitable. Confession: we travel a bit already. That doesn't stop Big Daddy from announcing to me each and every year that we need to save even more than last year's goal in order to retire. He has an idea of a Dream Lifestyle as well. Apparently, it requires a number with lots of zeros.
So, with that said, I'm focusing on new Habits in 2020. Not goals. Not resolutions. To get the Dream Lifestyle, I need to incorporate different habits that will allow me to start Living the Dream each day. At least that's the idea.
So what is the Dream Lifestyle?
It's simplified, elevated living.
It's more vacation, and less obligation.
It's more time or interaction with the people that mean the most.
What habits allow that to happen now? I'm starting simply with a few habits that are attainable. Generally speaking, I'm trying to develop a habit within each category above.
- De-clutter and keep only what I love most. (Goodbye to the item I don't love that was given to me by someone I do love, therefore I have kept it). Systematically go through one closet/drawer/box each weekend.
- Stop shopping for meaningless things (Yes, that little home decoration is cute, but what meaning does it have? Was it from a special place or just on sale at Hobby Lobby?) Constant struggle that I am fully practicing every day.
- Go to our camp more often. Our kids have special memories there. We never make the time to go. I often wonder why the place isn't a priority in the schedule. My plan is once per quarter, because that's the only frequency which seems attainable. Big Daddy says he can't commit to that.
- Hand-write and mail a letter each week. It doesn't have to be to the same person each time, but I do have a short-list of people at the moment.
- Start each day with a glass of water instead of coffee. This habit will improve my skin and overall health.
- Stretch for 10 minutes each day. Again, a health sustaining item. Living the Dream requires the Living part. I had a recent bout with a strained muscle in my back. Mobility is a new priority.
And that's it for the moment. New habits are hard to form, even harder than resolutions are to keep. By recording them here, I hope to hold myself accountable.
No comments:
Post a Comment