Friday, April 8, 2011

Cheer Mom - Post #1

Cheerleading is not an extra-curricular activity in Big State - it is a lifestyle choice. 

My little girl tried out for cheer and made it. 

Did we make it??

YES! WE DID!
 By default, I am now a cheer mom. A woman who will have, for at least the next year, glitter in my hair, hot glue under my fingernails and a schedule so hectic that soccer will look like a day at the spa.

My first realization of the hard-core sport that cheer is was last night.  Cheer uniform try-ons were at 7pm.  Skibbie was running a relay race in the district track meet which was, of course, the last race of the meet.  Can you say "Direct Conflict"?  I was furiously calling the ONE mother whose phone number I have in my cell phone and getting her to plead with the cheer apparel people to wait for us.  Can you imagine, one girl without a cheer uniform?  Or worse, the girl who let down her whole relay team at the district track meet to go try on a uniform?  Can you imagine the school staff scheduling all this on the same night?

When the race was over at 8 pm, I drove like a crazy person (55 mph in a 35 mph zone...that's crazy!!) to get her to the fitting.  After we got to school, we ran through the halls to get to the try on room.  My sweaty child basically stripped in the home-ec room and tried on variations of cheer uniforms, none of which were her school colors or the eventual design.

Fitting done and checks for large amounts written, Skibbie and I headed home to work on her next cheer obligation - decorating the locker of her "cheer little sister".  This project was fun because Skibbie really tried to make sure it was outstanding for her little sister.  It was past 9 pm when we started and everyone was in on the act.  Big Daddy was cutting the poster board, Action was the tool/craft runner and Skibbie and I were glitterfied and glued up before we knew it. 

Working with Skibbie's master vision and praying that Alejandra, the little sister, likes the color pink, we ended with what I think is an excellent locker decoration:
All done and ready to hang.


Glitterama up close


Installed and ready for Monday's surprise - the little sisters don't know these will be on there.

Big Sis cheerleaders with their locker decor


4 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

You all did a wonderful job!!! Now THAT is family teamwork!!!
Ug, that being in 2 places at once business is hard!
Congratulations Skibbie!

Anonymous said...

Super-Cute locker covers! That's really nice. You guys did a great job. I guess cheering is really a team sport (family team!). Congrats to Skibbie for making the team! Hang in there mom. Soon they'll be graduated. ;-)

-FringeGirl

Janna Leadbetter said...

So fun! Congrats, Skibbie!

Unknown said...

Congrats Skibbie! I knew you had it in you---I saw the twinkle in your eye when we went to see the DCC!!

How many have Peeped here?