Thursday, September 13, 2012

What kept me away

To say that I was overloaded in volunteer obligations last year is an understatement.  And I LOVED. EVERY. MINUTE. OF. IT.  I'm one of the weirdos who loves to volunteer because, truthfully, I'm a little selfish.  I love the way it makes me feel.  I like the gratitude from others.  I like the praise that comes from a job well done.  I really like setting up systems that create less work for others in the long run.  I like to take "We've always done it this way" and improve it or change it - sometimes just for the sake of change, and sometimes to up the "wow!" factor.

The kids? Eh, if I help them too, then it's a bonus. 

Plus, last year was the last year of elementary school for my youngest peep, Action.  It was my last hurrah in the primary grades, so I had to blow it out.  And, buddy, did I...

THE JOBS
  • PTA Directory - put that badboy online and required parents to enter their own info..streamlined the process for future pta'ers
  • Homeroom Mom Coordinator - communicator of all and coordinator of end-of-year teacher gifts (with 7 homerooms and 2 homeroom parents per class, it's a bit much)
  • Homeroom Mom - cause it was Action's last year!
  • Junior Achievement Coordinator - has been my job for the last 3 years, so why not?
  • Sock Hop Coordinator - giant Valentine's party for 700 fifth graders.  All new decorations, 3 types of entertainment, food, invitations and favors.  (pics below)  Budget = $640.
  • Decorations for School Carnival - really?  Sock hop wasn't enough?
  • End of School Party decorations - because I did too good a job at sock hop and carnival
  • 8th grade dance decorations (outside only) - because I hadn't done anything at Skibbie's school all year and it is the biggest night of the junior high experience.  By the way, she had a conflict with the state soccer tournament, so she couldn't go to the dance.  She never saw the decorations....grrr! 
Of course, all this stuff CANNOT be done by one person.  I had an army of worker bees and an extremely talented partner-in-crime, The Italian, who makes things happen, but you don't ask questions.

Sock Hop wall decor (yeah, we cut out all those silhouttes)

Me and The Italian

Tables, Favors and Scrapbookable "placemat"...oh yeah!

Action and The Italian's daughter (friends since Kinder...awwww!)

Elvis and the High School Jazz band....they dressed up too - awesome!
(Had favors for them also.  They will be back this year.)


The kids dancing..aren't they cute?
 
 
Graduation/End of School decorations.
Theme:  Cruisin' into 6th
Portholes on the ships are the kids baby pictures.  One ship for every homeroom.  I didn't make these.  I was in charge of the overall design, 3D ship rail that you can barely see, and the flags.  The Italian did the waves, the life preservers and the anchors for the tables.
 
And the infamous 8th grade decorations?
My laptop got fried and I can't find pics. Besides, we went to the State Soccer Tournament instead.
Her team finished 3rd. 
 
 
Was it all worth it? 
 
The day after the sock hop...the clean up day (when you are so tired you can hardly take another step!)...Action stopped me in the hall at school, gave me a big, tight hug and quitely, sincerely said, "Mom, thank you for volunteering at my school and thank you for the best sock hop EVER!"
 

Yeah, it was worth it.





No comments:

How many have Peeped here?