Thursday, September 17, 2009

Have you ever read the whole Bible?

I mean cover-to-cover? If so, how long did it take?

My Sunday school class is reading the Bible, beginning to end, Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21.

In 90 days.

Yep, you read that right.....90 lightening fast days.

We have special Bibles (NIV) that have the starting and ending spot marked on the "goal" pages. I have to read 12 pages per day. For the normal person, twelve pages isn't much to read in a day, but I have recently discovered that I am a slow reader. I just wish I had the audio headsets, like the ones that went with the readers in school, to go with it to make the *beep* to mark when to turn the page. Maybe it would be easier for me.

I haven't made it very far...I'm only on page 16 (Genesis 20). All I can say so far is that if Steven Spielberg made a movie about the first 20 chapters of Genesis, it would be rated R - maybe even X - for all the murder, greed, incest, debauchery, adultery, and world destruction.

Man, we sure are a bunch of heathen sinners!

And do we have nerve?!? Abraham negotiated with GOD to save Sodom. Negotiated. Who negotiates with God?!


And then Abraham's nephew, Lot, doubted the angels when they told him to get out of Sodom, but they saved him anyway. They told him to head for the hills, but Lot hesitated and they threw him out of the city to protect his sorry booty. Then Lot whined that it was too far to go to the hills. "Let me just go to Zoar." The NERVE! The angels agreed but told him not to look back. And what do you think happened? Lot took his family to Zoar, but his dumb wife looked back! When an angel of GOD says "Don't look back", I tell ya, don't. look. back. She turned to salt.



And I skipped over the parts where the people of Sodom wanted to molest the angels. Gack!

And how Lot offered his virgin daughters to the crowd to protect the angels. Gack!


Run, Lot, Run!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, 90 days, huh? That's a lot of quick reading. I've read the whole Bible, but it took me a lot longer than 90 days. It's amazing the things that jump out at you when you haven't read certain passages in a long time. Have fun. I hope you meet all your goals!
-FringeGirl

Anonymous said...

Oh, ya, forgot to tell you...

On Oct. 7th I'm hosting a blog carnival called 'Party in Pink'. It's for my bloggaversary and it will be a time where we all get to honor and encourage women we know who have or have had breast cancer.

Here's the link to the explanation.
http://thedomesticfringe.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/party-in-pink-important-information/

I hope you'll join in the fun!
-FringeGirl

Nina in Portugal said...

90 days huh...Wow!

I'm afraid I'd get caught up in getting it done and not paying attention to what I read!

If I missed a day, or didn't get all of it done in one day..I'd get overwhelmed and never go back to catch up....confessing my faults...so pray for me!


You're a VERY good woman!

Unknown said...

90 days? Man, that's way harder than P90X in 90 days. But, I know you can do it.

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

That seems very FAST!!!
Best of luck to ya!
There's a good quote in that book, All things are possible thru Christ!

How many have Peeped here?