Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Bible in 90 days? Right! More like 900.

I am sorry to report that I am SERIOUSLY behind on my 12 page per day quota in an effort to read the Bible in 90 days. I am struggling to
a. find the time to read 12 pages per day
b. read the 12 pages with any comprehension
c. not view this assignment as a chore or an obligation

I want to enjoy reading the Bible. I like the fact that we have a goal each week, but I think 12 pages per day is unrealistic. I need to think about what is being said. I need to understand why these particular stories were chosen. I need to remember them because I know they will be referenced later in the scripture.

I've decided that 6 pages per day would be a better pace, but I am so far behind that I need to read about 36 pages per day to catch up.

Lord, help me, I'm going to fail Sunday School.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a LOT of reading for one day. I don't think I'd absorb that much in a day. I guess it's good to get a broad overview, but to get something to hang on to for each day would be difficult. Your reading (no matter how much it is) and that's the important part!

Keep up the good work. I'm sure your teacher will understand. OR you may get left back and end up in your kid's class. ;-)

-FringeGirl

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I would have a problem with comprehension also. Sometimes a small bite chewed thoughtfully, has more meaning for me than a full course meal.

36 pages per day!! YIKES! My eyes would cross!

chocolate and whine said...

Oh, I feel for you! I've always rebelled against reading assignments. And I love to read! For some reason, as soon as it becomes an obligation, it also becomes the last thing I want to do.

I'm sure you'll find your balance somehow. Good luck!

Mandi Shandi said...

I am so far behind on my blog reading! I have just caught up on all of your recent posts. I think the 12 pages a day is a bit ambitios especially if you want to retain it, but I need something like that to get me motivated to read the bible beginning to end.

About the neighborhood fight, it makes me sick that kids would do that. I dread my boys getting to that age. I think you were right to wait it out, but my big mouth probably would have called.

Tell Action congrats on competing at such a big competition and it sounds like you are raising a real champion to me!

Glad you are doing well and I will do better about keeping up!

Nina in Portugal said...

Hey...after one verse some days, I have to close my bible and ponder, pray and pray some more....the Word of God is sharp and powerful....Doesn't take much for God to do a work in me....I don't know what I'd do after 12 pages!

YOUR DOING GREAT! KEEP ON!

Anonymous said...

Your pace depends on your goal ... I've seen plans to read it during Lent, for example. I have found the year schedule the most helpful. It focuses you on reading the Bible daily for a year. To me it was about being with the Bible not finishing the task when it was presented over this time period. You can find the schedule here:
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/readingplans/comprehensive.php

How many have Peeped here?