Friday, August 21, 2009

Locker Mayhem

Things have changed since we were in 6th grade.

First of all, 6th grade was still elementary school. We didn't have to deal with lockers until 7th grade. I know my sixth grader can handle junior high, but I still think she needs to be walking the halls with the little kids, not with big ole 8th graders who wear more makeup than I do and have bigger boobies than me.

Second, we didn't get multiple days of "camp" at school to learn our locker combination, figure out where our classes were in each hall, or "decorate" our lockers with magnetic bins and magnetic picture frames and magnetic mirrors and magnetic dry erase boards and magnetic corkboards. While I appreciate the effort by the school not to not have a bunch of freaked out the 6th graders on their first day of school, they should realize that maybe they aren't quite ready to be in junior high (see point #1).

Third, when we were old enough to get a locker, we had to bring a book home from school if the homework assigned was in that subject.....not now......the peeps get a second set of books to keep at home (no wonder my property taxes are so high!) so they don't have to strain themselves carrying all these books around. Lugging books around was character building, muscle building, and gave you incentive to get your homework done in study hall or during lunch.

All these changes, while disconcerting, are not really causing the chaos in my house.

The chaos is coming from the locker SHELF, that is supposed to utilize the precious vertical space in the locker. We bought the standard plastic coated shelf with snap down legs in turquoise blue. We wedged it in the locker. After we slapped up all the lime green magnetic stuff mentioned above, we tried to put in the notebooks.

The locker shelf legs were too short! Nothing fit underneath. Not a notebook, not a book, not a three ringed binder. Most parents would have just gone back to the store and looked for a locker shelf with longer legs. Or they would have shimmed up the current shelf somehow. Or did what we did as peeps...wedged a library book in the locker sideways.

Big Daddy, not to be outdone by the locker, went to Lowes, bought wood and built a custom locker shelving system for Skibbie's locker. I think it's a double decker. No MDF for her....I think it's oak.

I now present to you the CADILLAC of lockers (photo taken on Skibbie's cell phone):



Here's what I want to know......can't the company who built and sold the lockers to the school include a metal shelf with 4 clips that go in the little holes that are on the inside of the locker? Does it take a genius to know that peeps need to make better use of the space? That some peeps need help being organized? And what about the locker-shelf people? Didn't they get a standard sized textbook or three-ringed binder and measure to make sure a notebook would fit? (No, they are counting on me to count on them to have measured, and that I will have thrown away the receipt and not be able to return the thing to the store. Yes, I have thrown away the receipt. Their evil plan worked.....argggh!)

Obviously the locker-maker-people didn't ever have a locker as a peep. I guess they just carried their books. Maybe they should start making backpacks instead. Now that's an area that could use some serious improvement.

1 comment:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

THAT is a thing of great beauty!

But it would not work in Michigan. None of those spaces is big enough to hold a giant, warm coat, mittens, scarf, hat, and heaven help us, boots!

How many have Peeped here?