As I anticipate the upcoming Memorial Day weekend, my minds turns to previous Memorial Day Weekends. The ones where I was younger and just happy to be out of school (Remember those days? When school ended on the Friday before Memorial Day and started on the Tuesday after Labor Day?) Freshly cut grass, burgers grilled over charcoal, the churn of the ice cream maker, ice cold watermelon....the carefree days of youth when only the celebration mattered.
As I was finishing college and newly married, Memorial Day Weekend was a chance to go fishing, visit family, take three days off from work, or do a big project on the house. I was old enough to be aware of the significance of the holiday, but it was peace-time. There had not been a war, skirmish or police action against another country in my living memory. I hung the flag out front because it was the "Martha" thing to do. It made my white-siding, blue-shuttered house look festive.
In these times of terrorism, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, while raising my own children, I am now keenly aware of the sacrifices we commemorate on Memorial Day. Mothers who have sacrificed their sons and daughters. Wives and husbands who live alone months and months on end while their spouses are deployed. Children who say goodbye to fathers and mothers, possibly for the last time. Children who may never know their fathers because they were deployed when mom was pregnant.
I will endeavor to teach my children each and every Memorial Day about these sacrifices. We will plant the flag in the front yard with a full explanation about the role of the military in protecting us every single day. We will say a prayer of protection for those who currently serve and for their families. We will say a prayer of thanks for those who have gone before us. We will say a prayer asking for wisdom for those who lead this country and hold the lives of those service members in their hands.
We will still grill, swim in the pool, make homemade ice cream and play in the soccer tournament....just wish all the military families could be together to do the same.
Click here for military homecoming photos. Thanks to P-Dub for this photo assignment....it is one of your best!
3 comments:
This is a remarkable tribute to the ones that sacrifice for our liberties and future. I know all to well as I come from a long line of Military service in the family, myself, and now my son.
Wonderful thoughts, Hat Chick. Thank you.
I was just looking at that page with Mousey before I came here.
Very important thoughts. Our country could do with a good dose of remembrance.
Post a Comment