Monday, March 7, 2011

Let the Decrapification Begin

decrapification: to clean out, clean up, declutter and organize. Word invented by Thrifty Decor Chick.

I am so sick and tired of my ugly, old landscaping that I have decided to decrapify it.  I have loved the word "decrapify" since the first time I read it on Thrifty Decor Chick.  It perfectly sums up how I feel about the yard and what I want to do to it.

Ever heard the term "mature landscaping"?  That's real estate code for "needs new plants".  Our plants are soooo old.  I started pulling them out last year.  My plan was to leave a blank slate so I would have an idea of what I want the new landscape to look like.  You know, start fresh.  No old placement to stifle my imagination.  Big Daddy has killed the large ligustrum that I wanted to keep, so it will have to go.  I can't stand the boxwoods that line the circular drive.  They are old, woody and visually block the house.  

There is so much work to be done that I didn't even know where to start.  I decided to do a basic cleanout.  The yard needs to at least look clean maintained.  Plus, raking is a pretty good warmup to down-n-dirty shovel work. 


This is the side of the house.  The garage is to the left.  Those windows go to my dining room.  I drive past this mess every day.  Those old red-tipped photinias?  Going!  The crepe myrtle in front of the chimney stack?  Haircut!

I started the decrapification today.  As I started this morning, I quickly realized that this yard makeover will take a really, really long time.  So long in fact that I have decided this project will be my Lenten sacrifice (If you knew exactly how allergic I am to grass, you would have said "sacrifice" too).  My goal is to be finished by Maundy Thursday or sooner. 

I had to get some tools together - hand pruner, blower, wire-bristle brush, rake, chainsaw...it's a big project.


I raked the leaves first, then bagged them.  Do you think it would be too OCD to bleach the road in front of the house?  Probably, right?.....I mean, it will rain and look like I didn't do anything in approximately 32 hours anyway.




Next, I decided to tackle the side of the house.  I despise that area!  After cutting down the photinias, then digging out the stumps (shoulder and ab work...anyone?), I weeded a little bit.  Then I mixed up a lovely cocktail of weed killer and sprayed the whole area.  As you can see, I didn't give the myrtle as much of a haircut as I had planned after reading on the internet about how little pruning it actually needs.  I think the pruning is just another revenue stream for the landscape guys.


I quickly discovered 2 things:

1.  Garbage can capacity is going to be an issue.


2.  I need new gloves,



and eventually, a manicure. 


Maybe I'll treat myself to one in time for Easter Sunday.  In the meantime, you will have to endure my (hopefully) daily yard updates.  That is, if I can move a muscle in the morning.

2 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

You are an AMBITIOUS girl!!!!

Our front is getting a big overhaul this spring too. We just have to wait until the snow melts!

I have never heard of half the plants you mentioned. They must not grow up here.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your nail sacrificing, nose running ambition. Bleaching the street isn't so far fetched. Now if you told me you were going to repaint the road, I might think you've gone a little overboard. ;-)

Good luck with all your projects! You're doing an amazing job already.
-FringeGirl

How many have Peeped here?