Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The landscaping project continues.

I ran into Lowes today to get new gloves.   They had a lovely selection, so I picked out some blue and white beauties.  The white leather surely wouldn't stain since all dirt in the world is white.

What? 

Dirt isn't white?

Oh well, guess my gloves will look like this from now on.


I managed to take out the last of the photinas today....after I was able to get the chainsaw cranked.  I must have pulled that rip cord 25 times. 

Pump the bulb, pull the cord, hear the engine tease me then sputter out. 
Repeat.
Repeat.
You get the idea.

After I finally got the chainsaw going, I cut down the bushes, dug out the stumps then pulled out the weeds that I tried to kill on Monday.  The weeds were really stubborn, so I decided to double-dose the weed killer cocktail and sprayed the whole area again.

By 2 pm, it looked like this:

The white stuff on the bricks is the lime and calcium residue left by the very hard water from the sprinklers.  We've tried bleach, CLR, powerwashing and JoMax to get it off.  Nothing works.  The new plants will hide it, but I would like for it to actually be gone. 

Just for fun, I will show you the pictures of the house that I took right before we bought it.  The previous owner believed in "natural" landscaping. 


That's code for "We don't like to edge or mow".


"But the real estate people frown on that kind of thing.  So we did the best we could."



To give you an idea of what I'm going for, I drove around the neighborhood and tried to get photos of some landscaping that I would like to emulate.  I managed to get one, but got dirty looks from the contractor who was there (you can see his truck in the driveway to the left).


 Ooo, la, la.  Imagine that drop-dead-so-help-me-if-this-ever-goes-on-the-market-we-are-moving house isn't there.  Look at the circular drive.  Beautifully manicured, yet you can see the house.  The shrubs compliment the house.  They invite you in.  I'm also in love with the black stamped driveway.  I have pea-gravel slabs.  I don't like pea-gravel slabs.  Notice there isn't any hardscape on the edges, like a retaining wall or stones.  What do you think about that?  Are you pro hardscape?  I'm finding that I don't like hard edges.  I think I like low, tight, easily trimmable hedge as retainer.

There are two other houses that I am using as a model, but I didn't get the pictures.  I'll keep trying.  Until then, me and my white gloves have work to do.

4 comments:

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Watching your progress is getting me prepared for the HUGE amount of landscaping we have to do this spring!
Oh well, at least it's blog fodder!

Anonymous said...

You use a chainsaw? I bow at your awesome landscaping feet.

You're quite amazing.

I'm no good at yardwork. Maybe it's because I grew up in the city. I just don't know what to do with greenery.
-FringeGirl

Unknown said...

Looking good, lady!

Penny said...

I am so impressed with you. I am AWFUL when it comes to yard work. I don't have a talent for it, I don't like it, and I forget about what needs to be done. Unfortunately, my neighbor is the exact opposite...to the point of being OCD about her yard...(seriously, she has flashlights out at times doing yardwork at night). I need her to do some of my work, haha!

How many have Peeped here?