Wednesday, January 19, 2011

JUST ONE THING

I have resolved to change just one thing about myself this year.  It is not an area where I feel anything is particularly wrong.....it's just an area that is contrary to most.  It is an area that partially makes me who I am, so it's why I have decided to stick to this one thing.  Changing a significant part of yourself takes dedication and focus and support.  Lots of support.  And dedication.  And focus.

I've decided to start cooking.

It's no secret on this blog that I feel food is a necessary evil.  Don't get me wrong, I like food.  I'm just not consumed by it.  I don't think about.  I don't plan on it.  I'm one of those people who is just never hungry.  I never think about "What's for dinner?" until someone asks me.   I dread the grocery store.  Contrary to popular advice, I must go to the store when hungry or I won't buy anything.  I obligatorially walk up and down each aisle, then check out with a few items....nothing which will make one complete meal......usually a few snack items that look good at that moment.

Will pause here for you to hate me and curse me....it's okay.....I'm used to it.

My peeps are used to it.  We have grilled cheese sandwiches, breakfast supper or take out/drive thru.  My husband, while used to it, can't stand it.  Especially since he's been on a no-carb diet.  He can't eat take out or grilled cheese sandwiches.

My disdain for meal planning and cooking gives me a decent amount of free time.  While most moms are planning the weeks meals, grocery shopping or cooking at home with Rachel Ray in the background, I am still at TJ Maxx trying on shoes.  I buzz home in time to meet the school bus when other moms have been home for a couple of hours preparing the piping hot meal that will greet their children.  (I know this because I've asked around.) 

My peeps roll off the bus to granola bars, fruit cups, goldfish and yogurt. 

Dinner before soccer and dance?  Before 8 pm?  Who does that? 

Apparently everyone but me.

This constant disregard for meal planning creates a cause-and-effect chain that I can no longer ignore.

No meal planning ---> Free time ---> Shopping ---> High Amex Bill
No meal planning ---> No supper ---> Take Out Food ---> High Amex Bill

Others have seen my problem.  I have been given numerous cookbooks.  My mother-in-law has prayed over me.  And one of my friends finally offered to go to the grocery store with me!   Now that's support!

We went today.  We were in there for 2 hours.

It was an eternity. 

I think I spent a full half hour in produce.   

After all this shopping and stocking the pantry and filling the fridge, thank goodness I have leftovers, because I'm too tired to cook.

Baby steps, people.  Baby steps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so hysterical! When you said your mother-in-law prayed over you, I about fell out of my chair.

Since you don't think about food ever, I want your brain. Care to trade? Just till I lose 15 pounds or so. While you have mine, you can get your freezer stocked with meals.

Best wishes on your cooking project. Next year maybe my resolution will be NOT to cook. ;-)
-FringeGirl

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Good luck with THAT!
I told Honey that when he retires, he can have the job! I just don't like thinking about it either.

How many have Peeped here?