Thursday, March 11, 2010

Electricity Survey

In Big State, electricity service is deregulated.  That means that the "wholesale power" is sold to resellers and then I can choose which re-seller to buy my electricity from.....the power plant is the same, the lines are the same, my meter is the same.  The only thing that changes is how much I pay per kilowatt hour based on my re-seller.  I equate it to paying $298 for a Lilly Pulitzer dress at Neimans, or hope I find the same Lilly Pulitzer dress at TJMaxx for $49.99. 

What you really have to be careful about is picking a reseller that doesn't charge you a fee each month just for the privilege of buying from them.....I call this the "Sam's Club Effect".  Some resellers also just estimate your kilowatt usage based on the size of your house.  They aren't required to read the meter unless you call them out.....I avoid these companies at all costs....they are the Crappy Contractor's of electricity resale.

So my question is this....especially for those of you who live in a state where electric service is regulated.....how much do you pay per kilowatt??  Just leave me a comment so I can continue to seethe about my current rate. 

How much is it, you ask?  I had a 3-month fixed contract at 10.65 cents that expired on 2/6.  So for the past 27 days, my reseller has been sticking it to me with 15.95 cents.  I have been very loyal to them and always pay my bill on time.  When I called to ask what they could do for me for the past 27 days, they said nothing.  They could offer me a rate of 10.3 cents for the next 12 months.  I have found a one-month rate for 8.8 cents, but with a "Sam's" charge on it of $10/month.  Argh!

The moral of this story?   There seems to be no reward for paying your bill on time or being loyal.  And power in Big State is too expensive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how much we pay per kilowatt. I'll have to ask my husband since he's been dealing with the power company. I know it's too much. Our electric bill is crazy, but we do have some electric backup heat. We're on the plan now where you pay the same amount 12 months a year no matter how much power you use. It's easier for us to budget and the lean times make up for those times when we use too much.

-FringeGirl

How many have Peeped here?