Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cotillion

Friday night was the Spring Cotillion Ball. Skibbie had on her white dress and white gloves and white shoes and I thought she was one of the prettiest girls there (not that I am biased at all).  All girls have to wear white dresses and gloves at the Spring Ball and all boys have to wear a suit or coat and tie.
She wasn't looking forward to this event since her dance card at the winter ball got filled with rude  grade boys.  I assured her that she would not have to dance with the same boys again.  Her reluctance to go to the ball was compounded by the fact that her alma mater elementary school's carnival was also Friday night and she was going to miss the majority of it due to the ball.  (It is a right of passage to go back and visit the old school once you've gone on. )

I dragged her to the club, preaching about standing up straight and reminding her of manners and etiquette while we were driving there.  She quitely listened and indulged me all the way. We parked, I finished my speech, we got out of the car and started walking toward the front entrance when a woman, exiting the club from dropping off her daughter, yells across the parking lot, "Oh my gosh!  My daughter has on that same dress!" 

I could have smacked. her. across. the. face.

I yelled back (so everyone else in the parking lot could hear it) "Well, I guess they will both look beautiful then," and kept walking with a confident stride.  What else could I say?  In that one reply I needed to reassure Skibbie that she was beautiful, that it was okay that another girl had on her dress, not stoop to this troll-like woman's extreme rudeness while simultaniously putting her in her place. (Okay, so maybe I didn't put her in her place, but I at least wanted to take the high road.)

Skibbie and I proceeded into the club, I checked her in, took photos of her and some of her friends, then went back to the parking lot hoping to find this rude woman who clearly needed to be attending cotillion as much as her daughter. 

She was gone. 

And it was a good thing too.

I was gonna go Julia Sugarbaker on her! 

After relaying this story to Big Daddy, he had two comments:  1.  You should have tripped the woman when she walked past you in the parking lot.  2.  I guess you'll be taking Skibbie to New York for the prom dress.

You betta believe it!

Skibbie had a wonderful time at the cotillion.....her dance card was filled with nice boys she knew, she never even saw the girl in the other dress, she won a dance-off, and we made it to the carnival with plenty of time to spare.

All's well that ends well......but that lady better not show her face at Cotillion next year.  You never know what could happen in the parking lot at the country club.

5 comments:

Penny said...

Oh my goodness! Okay, first, Skibbie did look absolutely beautiful. Two, I love the troll reference. I nearly spit my water out from laughing!!

Nina in Portugal said...

I love Big daddy's responses! He clearly understand the importance of dresses!!

Great post...and YES she is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Skibbie had to be the most beautiful girl at the dance. She's gorgeous! The dress is lovely. A shopping trip in NY will be something you can both look forward to!

-FringeGirl

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Skibbie is an adorable Doll-Baby!!!

"I was gonna go Julia Sugarbaker on her! "
LOL!!! That was my favorite part!!

The Vamp Tramp said...

Oh my. Look at that tan! I am so jealous. And the dress looks gorgeous on her!

How many have Peeped here?