Monday, April 19, 2010

Spa Half-Day

Big Daddy gave me a gift certificate to a spa as a Christmas gift.  I've been saving it (for what, I don't know).  In the past, I have let such thoughtful gifts accidentally expire because I was saving them (for what, I don't know).  

So I started thinking.....why am I saving them?  So I can get a facial before that special PTA meeting?  If he gave it to me, why can't I just use it for me?  Why am I saving it for a special occassion?  Why can't a Monday be special?

I save it because I am afraid I will never get another one.  I save it because I feel guilty about taking the time for myself when I could be doing other things that are useful.  I save it because somewhere deep down inside, I wonder if he should have spent that money on something else that would be better for the family. 

I don't have this problem in other areas of my life.  I use my china.  I use the silver.  I burn the candles.  Those are things that are shared.....used in the service of others.  When it's for others or can be shared, it's okay.  Acceptable.  Not selfish.  In my own mind, I can even justify my hats and matching shoes (they are items that can be used multiple times).

It's Monday.  A special rainy Monday.  A spa Monday.  I'm throwing off the guilt.  They promised I would be done by noon.  I have other things to do today and can't be tied up hanging out in the spa.  That would be a waste of a day.

Okay, so maybe I'm still trying to throw off the guilt.

5 comments:

The Swan's said...

Enjoy your day with NO GUILT!!! You deserve it. You are a wonderful mom and wife. I save gift certificates and I clean before the cleaning lady comes. I think it is crazy, but I still do it.

Unknown said...

Enjoy! I don't save gift certificates, but I do save china.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...have fun! Enjoy every minute of it and don't let anything steal your joy of using the wonderful gift your hubby gave you. It's not all selfish. He will also receive joy in seeing that you use, appreciate, and enjoy his gift. So you're doing your marriage a favor.

Feel better? It's truth. ;-)
-FringeGirl

Delaweird said...

Ouuu honey, that gift certficate wouldn't make it to NEXT monday!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Throw that guilt FAR and WIDE!!!

I know what you mean about saving something until it expires. Why do we do that? That would be an entire week of posts right there!

How many have Peeped here?