Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Aunt Delaweird, What's down those stairs?

Wow! We finally made it to Delaweird's house, and baby, is it cold!

It's not cold by seasoned northerners standards, but if you live south of I-10, this is pretty darned cold. We only see this kind of cold weather in January....maybe in January. But definitely not in November.

Another thing we don't have deep down in Dixie is the basement. If I dug down ten feet in my backyard, I'd hit water. Nope! No basements in the South. We have playrooms. Big rooms upstairs, usually an oversized landing at the top of the stairs, where every sound can be heard and every jump can practically be felt by those downstairs. I have often been sitting in the room that is below the playroom and looked at the ceiling, waiting for the chandelier to fall or the sheetrock to crack.

My peeps love Delaweird's basement. She has transformed it into a peep paradise. It's a secret place behind the special door with stairs that descend into a room with crafts, a television and toys.

Forbidden toys. There are video games down there.

Here's their favorite part - they can close the door behind them and no adult can hear what is going on down there. They can jump up and down, and no one can hear it. No one yells Stop Jumping or What is going on up there? (or in this case down there?)

I may not see the peeps for a few days. But I know where they are.....in the basement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Basements are strange and exciting places. My basement isn't finished, but my kids still love it down there...spiders and all. It's also a great place to hide the piles and piles of laundry.

How many have Peeped here?