Sunday, November 16, 2008

Five dollars to park?

If you are like me, you usually try to do all the shopping you can during the week. The weekend crowds and traffic are just too much chaos for me. I like empty isles, short checkout lines and time to talk to store employees. You don't get that on the weekend.

And I'm a parking snob. I want to park in the first few spaces (no more than 8th from the door). I firmly believe that a good parking spot equals good shopping mojo. If you park closely, you get lots of good bargains.

Foolishly, I waited until the last day to take advantage of my Gap Give-n-Get discount (Gap gives me a 30% discount and then they pass 5% of what I spend on to a charity I choose from their list). The best part about Give-n-Get is that it applies to the factory store. So, I headed to the closest outlet mall, coupon in hand.

I pulled off the interstate and surveyed the parking lot. Not good. Lots of cars. I'll just go to the one store then go home. I weaved up and down the rows looking for a spot. Any spot. I had to wait for someone to leave to get a parking place. Not a good start, but I had a direct line to the door. Stay positive. I trekked up the row to discover something I have never seen at the outlet mall on any weekday and, in my experience, any weekend ever before.

Valet Parking.

Really? Valet Parking? At the Outlet Mall?

Now, I can be a little cynical. I wondered to myself if this was a legitimate operation. They had a pop-up tent. But still - aren't you shopping at the outlet mall to save money? I am. I don't think I want to give a pop-up tent valet five bucks plus tip. Now if it had been raining? Absolutely. Had the wind been blowing a little colder? You bet. Broken leg? No brainer.

But on a sunny day, even in my Guess stilletos? I'll keep my five dollars.

Trust me - I was a Champ at the "Get" part of this coupon. I needed that five dollars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't get one of those coupons! :(

Unknown said...

Valet parking at an outlet ... a little ridiculous. I think I'd just walk.

Found you from domestic fringe. From the looks of your blog, we must be neighbors. Nice to meet you.

How many have Peeped here?