Thursday, May 28, 2009

Can you have road rage when you're not actually in a car?

I had planned to post photos of the beginnings of summer today and the video I got of Action doing his "Night at the Museum" impressions, but this morning's happenings at the bus stop must take precedence.

We live at the end of a street with a cul-de-sac, so every child on our street and in the next block must walk to the head of the street to catch the school bus. Every morning since late August, 3 or 4 parents stand on the corner sipping coffee watching the 6 or 7 kids waiting for the bus. As one of those parents, I have watched all year as people zip by on their way to work or school. Neighbors we know wave. Others just ogle the gathering and move on. We parents make comments about anyone we think is going too fast and leave it at that.

Until this morning.

A man in a pickup truck passed the bus while it was still loading.

My emotions of disgust and disbelief had totally taken over my body. I was moving in the direction of the road and before I knew it, I ran across my neighbor's yard, coffee splashing out of my cup, to yell at this bus-passing driver. I had no idea what I was going to say, but I gestured wildly and something came out of my mouth like "Are you kidding me?!? You can't pass the school bus like that!!!!"

The man pulled into the path of the bus, then rolled down his window to explain to me how what he had done was legal...."The driver's stop sign was closed. I passed legally."

In that instant, my cynical mind flashed "Since when does what's right and what's legal coincide?"

I was enraged! "What about the children?!? Do you really think that was safe?!?" I screamed at him.

Then he put his truck in REVERSE and backed around the bus until he was behind it again. Once the bus went on its way, he then pulled up and said sarcastically, "Is that better?"

All that ran through my mind was What a dumba**!

My quick wit never lets me down.

By that time, the other parents jumped in and took up the cause. The errant driver actually argued that he had been driving for x number of years and lived in this neighborhood for 23 years and he had grandchildren of his own.

You live in this neighborhood AND you have grandchildren? So you understand my point, right?

He went on to say that he has never been stopped by someone for his driving in his life.

Well, Mr. Retired-No-Where-To-Go-School-Bus-Passing-Neighbor, you have now!

I need more coffee. Or maybe I don't. The caffeine....it does things to me. But so do Idiot Drivers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have written him a ticket and made him do community service as a crossing guard.

Good for you for yelling at him!!!

-FringeGirl

Mandi Shandi said...

Kudos for standing up for what is right. I am guilty of blind rage as well when it comes to the safety of my children!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

To think he actually felt compelled to defend himself! Incredulous!
You GO, Girl!

How many have Peeped here?