Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lessons Learned Early

One of my favorite times at school is upon us, the Book Fair. All the children are allowed to "shop" with a clipboard and a wish list. The teachers also "shop" so that parents can choose from a list of books they would like for their classrooms - ahem, can you say great end-of-year gift?

Action came home with his list yesterday. He's drooling over this book





which is selling for the full retail price of $40. He begged and pleaded for it, which he does with every new infomercial and toy at Target. So to gauge his true interest, I told him that he could have it if he paid for it with his own money. It's amazing what he can live without if he's forced to pay for it.

There is one thing you need to know about Action. He loves money. He loves to save it. He loves to count it. He is happy to tell you how much money he has stashed in his "can", the tin piggy bank I brought him from London as a souvenir. He has birthday money from years ago saved up in there.

Okay Mom, I will make a deal with you. If I buy the Star Wars book, then you will buy the rest of the books on my list. Doesn't that sound good?

Then I see him making a mental tally of the rest of the books. Maybe he has spoken too soon.

I'll take that deal. I said, locking in before he could change his mind.

I thought he would have forgotten about the whole thing this morning, but he woke from a dead sleep reminding me to give him $40 from his can so he could buy the Star Wars Dictionary before school started. He had already worked out a plan so I could just meet him at school later in the morning to pick up the rest of the books I will have bought for him.

As I opened his can and starting peeling 2 twenty dollar bills off the roll for him, he boasted Just keep goin' Mom, I have plenty of those.

I just rolled my eyes. You just remember your Mama one day when you're rich, okay?

He replied, I don't have any one dollar bills. Will you give me $4 for the tax?

I guess the old saying is true........It's not how much you earn, it's how much you keep...... I think Action has figured that out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol

I have a brother like that. He's a banker now. No surprise there.

-FringeGirl

Mandi Shandi said...

Action sounds like my little brother. I always thought he was so stingey growing up because he kept all of his money, while my sister and I spent ours as fast as we got it. Now I see that being able to save money is a positive trait. He still has a good nestegg.

Nina in Portugal said...

Wow...I could use a lesson or two in this area!!

Missy said...

This sounds like my son. No kidding. The money and the Star Wars. He's a fanatic. Thanks for sharing.

How many have Peeped here?