Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Midnight Moonlight Moonpie Swim

Did you know...

That there is a full moon right now? We had our annual midnight moonlight moonpie swim last night.

That the moon is actually moving away from the Earth a little bit each year? 3.8 centimeters to be exact.

That the moonpie was invented in 1917? That marshmallow between 2 graham crackers covered in chocolate was invented in a Chattanooga bakery as a snack for coal miners.

That Big Daddy can't swim in the dark? Okay, he can, but he won't. He just has to pull out all the light-up pool toys.

That light reflects off Earth to light the moon? It's called Earthshine.

There is a chant to get someone to throw you a moonpie from a Mardi Gras float in Mobile, AL? M-O-O-N-P-I-E, moonpie, moonpie, fly to me!

That Action and Skibbie get REALLY hungry after staying up until midnight to go swimming? They ate moonpies, ice cream and a big bowl of Cheerios.

That sometimes there's a halo around the moon? It usually means there will be rain within 24 hours. And it looks really cool.

There are 238 calories in a banana moonpie? That's okay, because chocolate is our favorite flavor. The chocolate ones are sugar free, have zero calories and are a nutritional substitute for broccoli. Yeah.....right.

That going to bed with wet hair is really weird? When it's 1 am and you're stuffed with moonpie, you don't really care.

That if you have never been swimming at midnight in the light of the full moon on a steamy summer night, you are missing out on something special? The next full moon is August 6th. Mark your calendar!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodie! I get to eat a moonpie tonight instead of broccoli. I'm loving life! Seriously, I've never been swimming in the moonlight. I think I'm missing out.

-FringeGirl

Unknown said...

Sounds delightful! I'll have to remember that ... Aug. 6th.

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I will mention that to the Family. Maybe the moonpies will entice them to use the pool!

Mandi Shandi said...

I LOVE moonpies. Especially if you heat them in the microwave until the marshmallow starts to puff. Then they taste just like a s'more. This is the stuff memories are made of! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Considering Big Daddy is from 'Gator country, I don't blame him for NOT getting into that murky (albeit chlorinated) water. I'd would need the underwater flood lights on HIGH BEAM myself. --Delaweird

How many have Peeped here?