Today ended up being one of those days when I was glad that I didn't have anything scheduled after lunch. I volunteered to help make costumes for the 1st grade play. It's a barnyard theme, so my assigned costume is the pig....23 pigs, to be exact. The costume consists of denim jeans, supplied by the kid, and a pink t-shirt that I must acquire for less than $3. I then have up to $5 to spend to turn it into a pig costume.
Costume restrictions -
Any expense over the $8/piece comes out of my pocket.
The costume will only be seen from the chest up.
I cannot block the childs face in any way - no makeup or plastic pig nose
So, thankfully, Hobby Lobby has child t-shirts on sale for 50% off the reg price of $2.99 - SCORE! I'm under budget! I need 23 pink shirts in small/medium. I found 15 at my local Hobby Lobby, then spent the next 2 hours driving all over town looking at 3 different Hobby Lobby's to locate the last 8. I must have spent $15 in gas, for which I will not be reimbursed. Guess that's my contribution to this project (so far).....and schools wonder why more parents don't volunteer.
I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out how to make a pig costume without the obvious nose! At this point, I'm looking for cheap pink hats (found white ones on Oriental Trading) so I can add ears, eyes and a snout. I've seen long socks on each arm for hooves. That's cute and I'll try that if I can stay in the budget. Someone suggested that I put dollar-store tiaras on the girls hats and little straw hats on the boys. I may ditch the pink ballcap idea, but it's the only way I can figure to get the snout on there!! Ah, the woes of the elementary volunteer!
No comments:
Post a Comment