Monday, July 21, 2008

The Grocery Game

Grocery shopping is one of the chores that I deeply dislike (see the sidebar for the top 5). Grocery shopping gets a bad wrap because it's first cousin is cooking. It's only redeeming quality is that it is actually Shopping. Plus it's monotonous. I buy the same thing each week - I have a limited menu and we are terribly brand loyal. I am always looking for a way to make grocery shopping less tedious.

In steps my friend, Angry.

Angry was responsible for grocery shopping for her family when she was a teenager. Angry's mother devised a system that helped her get through the store efficiently, and they shared it with me a couple of weeks ago. I've been fine-tuning it to meet my needs, and using Skibbie to help me do it (since this is another chore I plan to pass along). So here it is.....drum roll, please....

She has a Word Document that lists everything she normally buys arranged by the layout of her regular grocery store. I've added a column for the items I buy at Target also. I print the list and post it on the fridge. When we open the next-to-the-last-one of something, we just circle what we need on the list (eliminating the pesky misspellings of the kids and my husband - I'm pretty sure "bisquit" is not the correct spelling of biscuit, and grits is not spelled "girts"). There are blank spaces to write the items that you don't purchase everytime, like spices. I have used it the last two trips to the store and it worked great. I could send the kids ahead with the list to pick up the items at one end of the aisle while I was at the other end. If needed, I can actually tear the list in half (divide and conquer!). My next experiment will be to print the list on an envelope so I will have a place for my coupons. I'll keep you posted on that.

I have to take a moment to brag on Skibbie. We had dinner with the The Dutch family last night. After asking to be excused, she cleared her plate and a few others from the table, then proceeded to load the dishwasher - without being asked! She just did it! I was so proud! She doesn't load the dishwasher at home very often (not because she doesn't want to, but because she's just been too young), so to recognize the job needed to be done and to have the confidence to just do it - at someone else's house! - was awesome! I am now keenly aware that she is watching my EVERY move. I better make sure I'm on my P's and Q's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Opps I commented on the wrong day. See my note on Saturday. Angry

How many have Peeped here?