Saturday, July 19, 2008

What do I want to be when the kids grow up?

I realized that I never answered my own question. What do I want to be when the kids grow up? I have a bachelors degree in Business (no, I didn't go to college to get my MRS). I had a successful career in what was called Materials Management in my day - I think it's called Supply Chain Management now. I enjoyed my job and work and problem-solving and traveling and the goodies that come with work. I can't see myself going back to an office though. I feel the entrepenueral spark, and don't envision myself doing the 8-5 commuting thing ever again. I've already paid my dues, and I've had a taste of working my own hours -and I like it!

I've reluctantly started on the path of real estate investment.....the same path that I saw financially destroy my parents. Big Daddy sees these investments as our path to financial security and passive income in our retirement. After all, if Cash is King, Land is Queen (and I don't see God making more land). I own two houses, other than our own, already. I have two tenants who, thankfully, take good care of the properties. But, there's nothing passive about managing your own properties.

I enjoy the hunt for the house. I enjoy fixing it up. I enjoy seeing the tenant's excited anticipation about moving in. I don't enjoy collecting rent. It's hard for me to ask for money. I am a bleeding heart. I have one tenant who was 2 months behind on rent. Ninety-nine percent of landlords would have filed for eviction after 5 days. Not me, oh no......I politely ask how things are going.....Can you meet me to bring the rent today?......Oh, you need until Friday? I'll see you then......Oh, you don't get paid until the 15th? Just bring me a check then......I know, I know - I'm a sucker!

Originally, my goal was to buy one house per quarter. I managed fine in the first 2 quarters. My last quarter ended in June - no house. Mid-July is here and I have no prospects. I admit that I have not been combing the local MLS with the intensity I did when I first started. I need to get on it. Summer makes it hard. The kids are home and my realtor's kids are home. We look like a band of gypsies when we pull up. However, Skibbie has taken an interest in this whole little business I have going. I've decided to embrace it as an educational experience for her (the closest you will ever see me get to home-schooling). She understands the basics - we buy a house, pay for it and then rent it to someone who pays us more than it costs us to carry it each month. She likes looking at houses. She likes the part where we pick out paint, tile, etc. She likes that this is my "job" and the fact that I, her mother, owns my own little company. "Is this what you do for money?" she asks. No, this is what I do to retire, I think to myself.

For me to be serious though, I need to get my real estate license. That will help cut fees and improve my margin. I will look into it when school starts, I suppose. I have always been good at the academic part of anything - I just need to be able to apply it - all that real-world jazz.

Enough of the real world for today. I will now return to my status as Lady-of-Leisure and get back to eating my bon-bons. I have a quota to fill, you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I love the idea to print it on an envelope!! Oh and you have to send me your version with the Target items on it. Tell Skibbie we are all trying to draft her on our rec teams...I know she won't let us down. Take care, Ang

How many have Peeped here?