How wonderful is is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. -Anne Frank
Still working on my "improve the world" entry for American Express. It's a curious thing to think about all that could be done to help other people. There are so many varied causes, all worthy. Some are niche causes - one that is close to me in particular - orphaned mentally disabled adults. Some are global problems - clean drinking water, hunger, reforestation. Some are national problems - literacy, hunger.
My sister, Delaweird, is making change in her own way - she's walking for heart.
My friend, Angry, is making change in her own way - she's walking for breast cancer.
How can I make a difference for all orphaned mentally disabled adults? Or those whose parents are too old to take care of them? Have you ever thought about what happens to these folks? What if they don't have siblings, aunts or uncles who are able or willing to take care of them?
I think there needs to be a placement agency that finds group homes for these people. Maybe that's what the Amex $2.5 million will do - start an agency that finds placement for orphaned mentally disabled adults. From all over the country. I know parents of these kids worry about what will happen to them.
I will have to think about this some more. The deadline is 20 days away.....
2 comments:
If you win, I will move to help you make a difference. Houston and Katy have a "Heart walk" so I'll walk on down to Houston to make a difference with both.
---Delaweird---
If you win, please count on me to help you with this one! Angry
PS Maybe my nickname should be BBH, but wait is there any positive nicknames for me.
Post a Comment