Saturday, January 9, 2010

Skibbie's Nightmare

Have you seen The Princess Diaries? My Fair Lady?


My sweet, sporty girl is being subjected to Cotillion....slowly being transformed into a genteel belle.


She hates it.


I love it.



She has been taught how to greet adults in a receiving line, how to respond when a gentleman asks her to dance, how to fox trot, and how to properly sit in a chair. She is also being taught to spot these qualities in others, a skill that is most important when vetting future mates.


Very important for her wedding. We Southern mothers start planning these things early you know.



She makes the effort only because it makes me happy. I make it less painful by only sticking around to take photos in the "public areas". I don't go into the ballroom and take photos of her dancing with these gentlemen-in-training.

Don't think that I am mean or subjecting to her some form of torture. The Winter Ball was last night, where she and two other soccer mates were three of about 100 young people (the majority of them were boys....I was shocked!) who practiced real live proper ballroom etiquette....

....with dance cards, white gloves and crystal punch cups.

Action wanted to stay and judge the dancing.

I convinced him that Starbucks and a rice krispy treat would be much more fun. The good news is that he can't wait to be old enough for Cotillion. He's ready to show those girls a thing or two on the dance floor.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Fox Trot, huh? People still Fox Trot. Down here in the classy deep South, the Cupid Shuffle is way more popular. Go figure.

She looks beautiful.

Nina in Portugal said...

Oh my.....I feel a little anxiety coming on...I too, being a Mom from the deep south, want my children to know these things as well....

but....well....all that goes out the window in a foreign country.

In that receiving line, my girls would be leaning up on tippy toes to kiss everyone on the cheek, starting with the right one and then the left.

**sigh**....just another missionary family issue I guess....

but enough about me....Skibbie was absolutely radiant and such the lady!!

You should be very proud!

And I'm looking forward to seeing Action when it's his turn! (You must sneak into the ballroom for that one!!)

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

She looks adorable!
And Action as well!

The Swan's said...

Wow she is such a beauty!

Anonymous said...

I am not a mom but totally a Southern girl so I am loving that you are giving Skibbie this opportunity to learn these things. I am sure that "opportunity" is not a word she would apply to this situation. She will thank you later. She is so pretty and looking so grown up. Good job, Mom!!
Denise

Anonymous said...

She'll thank you later.... "Dela"

How many have Peeped here?