Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Something I've realized about myself

Last summer, I volunteered to be a Junior Achievement volunteer coordinator at the elementary school because I am a big believer in Junior Achievement. I love to teach JA. I love what the program is about.

I love to volunteer. I love doing good works. I love jumping in and helping get things done.

I have discovered that I do NOT love asking others to volunteer. I am not a recruiter.

This has been a painful volunteering year for me because I am having so much difficulty getting others to volunteer. The hardest part is the constant follow-up. If I could get people to commit and then move on to the next class, it would be great.

But life happens to people.

They get sick. Their work schedules change. Their babysitters/nannies quit. They forget to show up. They don't call back.

I want to quit this "job". It makes me miserable. It takes up A LOT of time (something the last volunteer coordinator assured me wouldn't happen...."It doesn't take long at all!".....famous last words)

I couldn't get any parent to volunteer for one 1st grade class, so I taught it myself. I loved meeting the kids. The first thing they asked was, "Whose mommy are you?" Thank goodness there were 3 new scouts from Action's pack in the class. I instantly had credibility by being "Action's mom".

The teacher couldn't believe I couldn't get one parent to volunteer. "Did you call Mrs. So-and-So?" I couldn't remember.....this is one of seven first grade classes. Seven classes times twenty-two kids per class. You do the math. And that's just ONE grade.

I've used email. I've asked teachers to recommend someone. I've made calls.

There are three grade levels left. I have to start making more calls today.

Can I quit now?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not be good at that job, but if you called me, I'd say yes. I can't say no when people call and ask me to do something.

Good luck!
-FringeGirl

Nina in Portugal said...

I would teach one if I were there. I too LOVE JA!!!

As a student...and as a teacher!

I hope it gets easier for you.....

Anonymous said...

They only have ONE person doing that job?? Wow..I can do that math and that is an insane number of people to reach out to. I give you permission to resign immediately!!
Denise

Janna Leadbetter said...

Oh, that doesn't sound good at all. But you get lots of credit for your hard work!

I wish I were closer, too. I'd definitely help out.

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I dislike that job as well. What REALLY surprises me are the lame excuses people toss off and expect to be credible.
Just say, no I can't, we don't need to hear the whole ridiculous story!

How many have Peeped here?