Monday, February 14, 2011

Is this an episode of "Days of Our Lives"?

I was tired. It had been a long day. Business Law had started at 7 am that morning (why did I take such a boring class so early in the morning?), then I worked from 9 am to 6 pm at my earns-enough-to-pay-the-rent retail job. I drove home to my little studio apartment with the expectation of a long study session and a grilled cheese sandwich.  My mind was on business law, my tired feet and the stack of bills on my kitchen table/desk.

When I opened the door to my apartment, I was stunned to see a bouquet of flowers sitting on the dressing table in the entry with this note attached.


I was confused.  I was tired.  All I could think was, "How did these flowers get into my apartment?"  I started looking for broken windows and jimmied locks.  As I inspected the door, a strange guy came walking up on the sidewalk.  He was college-aged, dressed in jeans and a blazer.  He had a scruffy beard and unkempt hair.  I could tell he was uncomfortable in the blazer, definitely something he would not normally wear.   I jumped back inside as he entered the gate to the courtyard outside my front door.   He saw that I was startled, so he quickly introduced as himself as Fish, a friend of Big Daddy's.  He asked if I was ready to go.  "Go where?  I don't know you," I replied.  My mama taught me not to get in cars with strangers.  I wasn't going anywhere with him. 

"Did you read the card?" Fish asked.  

"Not really.  How did these get here?" I asked, hoping to solve this mystery, dismiss him and get on with my grilled cheese and business law. 

"Just read the card," Fish replied. 

I did as instructed and counted the flowers.  There were 11.  One short of a dozen.  "Ok, whatever", I thought to myself.  I read on...."Down Airport to the mall"....what?!  "I just came from the mall," I thought. 

"I'm not going back to the mall," I whined to Fish.  "And I don't even know you." 

"Oh yes you are," said Fish.  "If I'm wearing this jacket, you are going to the mall.  Don't worry.  I won't hurt you, and you won't regret it.  Get in the car."

Fish was driving Big Daddy's car.  I was supposed to be comforted by this but my conspiracy theory side just kept thinking that Fish had whacked Big Daddy, taken his car and made up this story.  But my sane side kept thinking, "Why would anybody do something like that and leave flowers in my apartment?"  It didn't make sense.  I reluctantly got in the car, warning Fish that if he tried anything tricky he would be sorry.  "I may be skinny, but I can hurt you!  I'm a dancer, you know."  I'm sure he was racked with fear.  He rolled his eyes as he started the engine.

I couldn't think straight.  Fish and I drove the 15 minutes back to the mall, listening to the radio.  I kept my hand on the door handle, just in case he made an insane move.  I was ready to jump out of the car at every red light.  I had driven this road a thousand times and knew the timing of every light, the name of every cross street.  I could run fast and I always kept a quarter in my purse. I could call someone if I needed to.

When we got to the mall, Fish led me to the framing store.  I waved at every person I knew in every store that I passed.  I wanted everyone to know that I had come back to the mall.  There was proof that I had been there with this guy, Fish.

Fish kept checking his watch and hurried me along.  "Go to the counter and tell the man your name", Fish instructed.  I did as told.  The store manager looked at me with the same confusion that I must have had on my face when I introduced myself.  I could see him processing my name in his mind, then he said, "Oh yes, follow me.  I have something for you."  We walked to the back of the store where he handed me a large flat package wrapped in brown paper. 

"Should I open it now?"  I asked. 

"Of course," he replied incredulously.  He thought I was as dumb as a stump.  I could see it in his eyes.

I ripped the brown paper.  Inside was a framed Monet print of  "Water Lilies and Japenese Bridge".  I love impressionist art, and I was stunned at its beauty.  The store manager then handed me another card.  It read:



I thanked the store manager, Fish took the print, and we were off to the next destination.  Fish didn't really give me a chance to solve the riddle.  He hurried me along to Baily, Banks and Biddle, the jewelry store.  As we took long strides through the mall, I was suddenly keenly aware that we were going to. the. jewelry. store. 

Oh no!  Big Daddy and I have only been dating four months.  Surely he isn't planning to propose.  I have a year of college left.  I'm not getting married anytime soon.  I have plans!  Big plans!  I'm going to live in Europe.  I'm not getting married anytime soon!  He's a great guy.  Why would he do this?  I'm not getting married anytime soon.  I have plans!  I'm going to Europe, darn it!

Fish's steps seemed to be getting faster.  My stomach was turning upside down.  I liked Big Daddy. A LOT.  I didn't want to break up with him over this.  It was all moving too fast.  Fish, the jewelry store.  I tried to walk slower, but Fish kept prodding me.  We were clearly on some unknown schedule.  Fish had a timeline to keep and he was intent on keeping me moving along.

We arrived at BB&B, and I did as previously instructed.  I introduced myself to the manager, but this time he was quick to pull out a box.  It was a large box.  Clearly larger than a ring box.

I was relieved.  This is NO ring.  Thank you God.  I don't have to break up with him.

By now I was clear that I was to open each gift when presented (I'm quick that way).  Inside was this music box:


With another note that said this:


Inside the box was this key.   


I quickly figured out it was a key to Big Daddy's apartment.  Fish quickly thanked the store manager and tried to rush me out. 

"Wait! I don't know what song it plays," stalling him.  I turned the knob on the bottom of the box.  It tinkered out "Yesterday" by the Beatles.  I was confused again.  It was not "our" song.  This was the early 90's.  I was an Elvis kind-a-gal.  Why "Yesterday"?  Was he breaking up with me?  If so, this was a weird way to do it.  I wondered all this aloud, and Fish looked at me like I was crazy.  Fish assured me that he didn't know the significance of the song, but I was surely insane to think that a guy would go to this expense to get rid of someone he didn't care about.

He was right.  I was crazy.  I was crazy and still confused and secretly thankful that Big Daddy wasn't proposing to me from afar after only 4 months together.  So what was he doing?  This was all a grand gesture.  It wasn't my birthday.  It wasn't Valentine's Day.  It was completely random.  All of this for what??

Fish grabbed the box, the print and hurried me out of the store. 

"We have to go."

"Are we going to Big Daddy's apartment?" I asked.

"Yes," Fish replied.

"Will he be there?" I asked.

"I don't know," Fish answered flatly.  He was outdone with me.  He was annoyed that I wasn't giggly and teary-eyed at the gifts and the effort.  I was still calculating.  I couldn't figure out what was next or Big Daddy's ulterior motive. 

We drove the few minutes to Big Daddy's apartment.  When we pulled up in front of Big Daddy's unit, Fish handed me an envelope with this card inside.



I used the key from the music box and opened the door to his always spotlessly clean apartment.  Harry Connick, Jr.'s "We are in Love" was playing on the stereo.  It was our song.  It had been since our first date when we passionately kissed while it played.  I replayed the memory in my mind, remembering how it was all too good to be true....the perfect ending to the perfect first date, the perfect first kiss.

The car door slammed and snapped me back to reality.  There was a large white lidded wicker basket on top of the coffee table.  As I started to call for Big Daddy, Fish appeared in the doorway behind me and said, "He's not here.  Turn over the card."


I went over to the basket, looking around, still hoping to see a glimpse of Big Daddy or any clue about what was really happening.  I opened the lid and a yellow helium balloon with a big smiley face floated out.  As it bouncily tapped the ceiling, this little note bobbed in front of me. 


"Let's go," said Fish.  He walked over and grabbed the basket and balloon and shoved them both into the backseat of the car alongside the framed Monet print and the music box. 

"I can see from this card that we are going back to my house.  Is Big Daddy there?" I asked, a little more wide-eyed. 

"No," he said, checking his watch again.  "Get in the car." 

I spent the next fifteen minute car ride grilling Fish on when I would see Big Daddy and on why he was doing this.  Fish assured me that everything would make sense soon and that I really should just stop asking questions.  

As we arrived in front of the gate to the courtyard at my studio apartment, I paused getting out of the car and asked, "What happens next?"

"Go get dressed and I'll be back in an hour." 

At this point I was beginning to think that Fish was really my date.  He had repeatedly assured me that he was only the chauffer and it was the only reason he was wearing the jacket.  As I walked to the front door, it occurred to me that I didn't know what I was dressing for....should I wear heels or hiking boots?  Dress or jeans?  I was so completely lost in my own thoughts I hadn't noticed that Fish had placed the box, the basket and the Monet print on my tiny front porch.  I wheeled around to ask Fish what to wear, but he had gotten into the car and already driven off, surely staying true to the schedule.

My studio apartment had one tiny entry way which opened to my living room/bedroom/kitchen, of which my bed was the predominate piece of furniture.  Needless to say, I didn't entertain often.  When I opend the door, the flowers still sat in the vase on the dressing table in my entry way.  A new dress with a matching hat was laying on my bed. 

I was freaked out!  How was Big Daddy getting into my apartment?  He didn't have a key.  Was he on a first name basis with my hundred-year-old land lady?  Had he charmed her into letting him in?  Could he pick the lock?  He was handy and I wouldn't put it past him.  But how was he getting here?  Fish was driving his car.  It was too much for me to process.

I spent the next hour showering and dressing, turning over all the events in my mind, trying to make sure I remembered every detail and trying to guess his motive.  I was nervously excited.  I had convinced myself that Big Daddy wasn't proposing marriage.  So what was he doing?  He had given me the key to his apartment.  Was he going to ask me to move in with him?  He certainly knew better than that.  My mother would kill me and him!  This is Alabama.  People don't do that here. 

I was keenly aware that my hour would soon be up and Fish would be back soon.  I slipped into my new forest green double-breasted dress with gold buttons.  It was a lovely dress that could be worn to church or a business meeting.  Big Daddy knew me so well that he bought the matching forest green bowler with a large black bow.  I tucked the hat away and sat on the end of my bed staring at the front door, waiting for Fish.

It started to rain.  Fish arrived promptly as promised with an umbrella in hand.  He politely commented on my new dress and said he was glad it fit, as if he had been a party to the purchase of the dress.  He ushered me into the car and handed me an envelope with this card inside.


Fish drove and I rode in silence.  I had time to process all the events and was feeling like I was in an soap opera.  I had been watching "Days of Our Lives" since I was a child.  This is something Bo would do for Hope.  Was Big Daddy my Bo?  Was I his Hope?

Fish pulled into the porte-choche of one of the nicest restaurants in town.  As the valet approached my side of the car, Fish gave me what would be my last instructions from him.

"Go in and tell the maitre d' your name.  This is the last time you will see me," He said.

"How will I get home?  Is Big Daddy inside?"  I asked as I exited the car.

Fish ignored me as he checked his watch one last time.  I gave an inquiring look to the valet.  He clearly had no clue about what had happened or what was going to happen next.  He was relieved that Fish drove off and he wouldn't have to park another car in the rain.  I had no other choice but to go inside. 

I pushed open the door of the restaurant feeling pretty in my new green dress and went to the maitre d' stand.  As I had done twice before in the last few hours, I introduced myself and waited for a response. At first the maitre d' gave me a quizzical look, then checked his reservation tablet, and when he didn't find my name, he didn't know what he was supposed to do with this information.  I was deflated.  Fish was gone and this man didn't seem to know what in the world he was supposed to do with me. 

He told me to wait and scurried off.  Time seemed to stand still.  He didn't know what to do.  Had he gone to find the manager?  Would the manager know what to do?  How long was I going to have to stand in the lobby of this restaurant all alone?  I started to fidget with the gold buttons on my new dress.  A couple walked in and stood with me, waiting for the maitre d' to return to his post.  I assured them that he would be right back, even though I had no idea where he was.  I felt like an idiot standing there, dressed to the nines, alone.

Just then, he returned, and beckoned for me to follow him.  We filed through tables of couples, each looking up to see me solitarily pass, until we came to a candlelit table in the corner.  It had a vase with a single rose, the 12th rose that was missing from the original dozen.  Sitting there was Big Daddy, waiting to greet me with a big, sweet grin and long hug. 

"Are you surprised?"  Big Daddy asked.

"Yes, and confused," I responded as we sat down.  "Why did you do all this?  It's not my birthday or Valentine's Day or anything special."

"Because I love you," he said.  "Isn't that a good enough reason?"

Wishing you all romance and love on Valentine's Day and every other day of the year. 

2 comments:

Penny said...

Awwww....what a beautiful story!!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

That Big Daddy, what a big old hunk of honey!!!!!

How many have Peeped here?