It's Mother's Day - a day to honor our mothers, assess our personal paths in motherhood and hopefully relax a little. I am happy to say that my mother's day has been wonderful....Breakfast at church cooked by the Men of the Church, handmade cards from my children, flowers from my dearest friend, a leisure afternoon of reading by the pool, phone calls to my mother and mother-in-law, and what will be a wonderful dinner cooked by my husband. I could not ask for more.
In my quest for "the right thing to do" for the constant challenges of child-rearing, I am re-reading Dr. James Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys". Since I didn't have brothers, raising Action is a particular challenge for me. I don't understand the animal that is BOY. I am trying to raise a Man's Man - strong, steadfast, decisive, nature-wise, handy, smart, witty, faithful, and bold - and A Woman's Man - chivalrous, 'nuf said. The Rhett Butler sort of guy, like his dad. While sitting by the pool, reading Dr. Dobson's insights, Action came by.
Action: "What are you reading?"
Me: "Bringing Up Boys."
Action: "What is it about?"
Me: "I'm trying to learn how to be a better Mom."
Action (completely straight-faced): "Oh good. Is there a part on how to cook?"
Happy Mother's Day to me. And to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment