Friday, May 30, 2008

All hail the Yearbook!

Wow! How fast can a year go by? Today was the last day of school. It seems like I took the traditional first day of school photo just yesterday - which made the color photos of the yearbook this year. I love looking through the yearbook. Seeing how the kids changed, looking at all the friends (and frienemies) and seeing all the photos from field trips I couldn't attend.

Maybe that will be my volunteer venture next year - yearbook. I have some experience in it after all. I was co-editor of my high school yearbook with one of my closest friends, and certainly my oldest friend. Those were some of the best times. We were professional scrapbookers before we knew what that was! Okay, the faculty adviser had alot to do with it also, but man - what power! We decided what candids went where, who to feature, and who made the "color" pages. Of course, at that age, I don't think we realized the "power" of what yearbooks represent. As memories fade, that yearbook is our link to the people we knew and things we did. For many, it's the first in the list of "publications" in our lives - birth announcement, yearbook, possibly news articles related to achievements, wedding announcement, birth announcements for our children, obituary.

Scary!

And what about all the stuff that people write in those things? Is it the written legacy they want to leave? I know I didn't think that my standard "Have a great summer. It was great knowing you. Good luck in the future." would be what people would show to their kids. If I had, I sure hope I could have come up with something profound, or at least interesting. I think even something from a fortune cookie would have been better than what I wrote.

So, turning to "101 Thoughts Worth Thinking" (cause 100 wouldn't be enough), the little book that the 4th grade class gave me in appreciation for teaching Junior Achievement. Today's thought is:
"You cannot kindle a fire in any other heart until it is burning in your own."

Man, that would have been good in a yearbook!

1 comment:

Mama Yoder said...

Just saw this post and ummmm, it just occurred to me that you DID have the power to put me your own sister, on a COLOR PAGE - - um, but no, all YOUR friends were on there. Nice....real nice.
>>> squinty eyes <<<<

How many have Peeped here?