Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Adventures in Real Estate

The last two days I've been working on my latest real estate deal. It's a darling house that only needs minor updates, so I'm pumped. The inspection will tell the real tale, but it has all the major work done. The carpet is even in good shape. And, bonus, it comes with a nifty side-by-side fridge.

I'm feeling my inner-Trump, trying to negotiate a really good deal. I'm focusing on the price of the house and the financing costs. I feel like I've done well with the financing in the past, but I want to do the nobody-gets-a-deal-like-that kind of deal. Especially in these tough times.

My problem is that I am a sucker. I feel like everyone should get paid for their work, real estate agents and mortgage brokers. And tenants should get a break. They've fallen on hard times or are just getting started, right? I have to remember that it's all coming out of my pocket. I have to remind myself of why I'm doing this. I do want Big Daddy to retire one day. If I don't do this right, then I'm wasting money that could have just been safe in the bank, earning it's piddly interest. If I don't do this right, I'm putting myself through all this work and worry when I could have spent all this time volunteering or meeting my bon-bon quota. I need to find that inner-Trump.

--Let me disclaim that I am sure Mr. Trump is a wonderful man, but I envy his ability to make unemotional decisions. It's just business. It's all about the money. His money. --

So, prepare yourself for spotty posting and to be bored with my woes of home renovation. I will post before and after photos though, 'cause misery loves company.

I'm off to slay a mortgage broker and watch the Fed meeting - Come on, Fed! Drop the Rates!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do NOT feel sorry for morgage brokers OR realators (unless they are a personal friend).... they are both the biggest pigs out there & really is the reason why some people are in INTEREST ONLY loans etc.... or purchasing homes that they can't afford! Most do little to no work while collecting their MAXIMUM %age.
Also - as a tip, you should call Mr. Cutillo-witz regarding morgages (he used to do that in a very past NC life). He's a PRO & usually gets every penny he's due & uncovers all the hidden fees.

Anonymous said...

Just make sure you earn enough money to ensure you don't end up with Trump hair...
--Mama Yoderian

How many have Peeped here?