Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I say tomato, You say tomahto

There are a lot of cultural differences between Yanks and Dixie Dwellers, but I suppose you could say that about most areas of the country. Midwesterners have their own ways, as do those Californians. The differences can be found in the most basic ways. How we dress. How we speak. We have our own ways of doing things, all of us. Customs and traditions vary from place to place among our big ole 50 states, and that is what makes us great, isn't it?

One thing that we can all agree upon is this:
Babies are awesome, great, bundles of sugary love from the Good Lord above.



AND that a garden party on a beautiful warm day in April at the home of Zena, the warrior princess, is perfect for a baby shower,



AND that a diaper cake topped with a stuffed animal holding the silver rattle and cup that belonged to the mother-to-be when she was a child is pretty darned cute and tear-jerkingly sweet,



AND that yummy cupcakes placed on a beautiful stand topped with roses compliment the theme of the day.....simple elegance,




AND if you were a guest at this party that you would be delighted to receive one of these handmade, custom, mint-chocolate filled favors,





that you noticed coordinated with the invitation.






AND you would surely agree that bringing home a sweet bundle of sugar from the Good Lord above could be even more incredible if you could lay her baby-smellin' head in this spectacular bassinet.



(Looks like it came straight out of the pages of Southern Living, right?)



Okay, so that was more than one thing that we can all agree on, which demonstrates that maybe we, the Yanks and Southerners, have more in common than we originally thought.



Sure, the differences show themselves in subtle ways. The Southerners "dress" for baby showers, can identify which gift is from a family friend by the "Miss" in front of the gifter's name, and let our Southern sayings illustrate a point.

But the Yanks were gracious in a most Southern way.

They let me play the shower games. They honored my gentle suggestion to have a separate "man-time" with the father-to-be. (I thanked them, of course, and hope that I have not offended anyone for the long term. I've heard Italians can hold a grudge.....not that we Southerners know anything about that........*ahem* Civil War, anyone? anyone?)

And Zena allowed us to continue with this idea of having her lovely, ornate garden decoration covered in baby clothes with a huge pink bow topper,


in spite of some reservations about our idea. She actually put it all together. I think it was lovely.

I just hope they don't sic their attack dog on me the next time I visit.


Assuming I'm ever invited back, of course.

4 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

It's all so very classy and beautiful! Well done.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lovely party. Funny, but I think Southerners do a lot more "dressing-up" than we Yanks. If I remember correctly, Southerners still dress for church and things like that, don't they?

I should live in the South. I like to dress in a dress.

You should do a whole post about the difference between Yanks and Dixie Chics. It would be so interesting.

-FringeGirl

The Hat Chick said...

FringeGirl,
I don't think I know enough about Yanks to compare and contrast, but I think I could come up with a long list of things that give Southern girls that little bit of mystery and quirkiness (and send some of us to the shrinks couch).

Janna,
It really was a lovely day. I can only hope the guests and the guest of honor enjoyed it half as much as I did.

Mandi Shandi said...

What a lucky mom to be. This shower was gorgeous, and you are very right. That bassinet is straight out of southern living!

How many have Peeped here?