I visited my neighbor yesterday. I was my usual chiwawa-like self, darting in and talking too fast and nervously placing my foil covered offerings into the deceased sister's hands. You see, I had never met the widow before yesterday.
I bumbled on about how I was so sorry that I was meeting her under these circumstances and how many neighbors had a connection to either one of their friends or the family of the girl involved so they might be meeting many new people in the next few days who just want to do something to help because it was such a terrible tragedy. I explained how I knew the story because I didn't want her to think that I am just the busy-body at the end of the street.
I could have kicked myself for mentioning the girl.
But I was just talking and talking without taking a breath - total word vomit. It was terrible.
Then she stopped me.
She asked me to pray for the girl.
She said that sometimes God has a plan that we don't understand.
She told me about how the girl's church was coordinating a schedule of volunteers to help with her grocery shopping.
Then she said that she was glad to know me. She asked about my peeps and said how glad they were to have young children on the street again. She was incredibly gracious.
She was peaceful. She was secure in her faith. She was able to calm me and think about the fate of the girl because she knew that her husband had gone on to his reward.
I have much to learn from this woman. And to think, I went to comfort her. God has a plan.
4 comments:
How heartbreaking. And what a poignant moment you had with this woman, too. Some seem to accept His will so effortlessly, no matter how hard they're hurting. That kind of love and forgiveness can teach us all.
This made me cry.
-FringeGirl
It always works like that for me too. I think I'm the one who's supposed to be offering comforting words, but I always seem to be the one getting comforted.....
God certainly knows what HE's doing....amazing, isn't it?!
I have been praying for your friends and neighbors. I know God has a plan so much bigger, it is just so hard to get to a point where you can understand it.
I am always nervous and uncomfortable in those types of situations. Never knowing the right words to say. Words always seem so inadequate. I am sure they appreciate your help and his wife sounds like a very gracious and Godly woman.
Post a Comment