Unsolicited, a friend loaned me a book last weekend. She handed it to me and said, "This made me think of you. I think you will enjoy it. I've highlighted a few things. If you see anything I missed, let me know."
I was scared. What kind of book would she be reading that could possibly make her think of me AND inspire her to whip out a highlighter? Politics? I bleed red - and only red (no blue here). Religious? We don't go to the same church or bible study or anything. Crafts? Okay, could be craft....I have a craft room (though I only aspire to be as crafty as my friend, Craftier.) and she was at my house for a craft-type party - more on that later. Much later.
"What's it about?" I asked.
"Oh, mostly a cookbook," (hold it! ...STOP!.... Cookbook? You thought of ME? Do you know me?) "but it has all these stories about Mississippi in it. Have you ever heard of tomato aspic?" she queried.
No, I have never heard of tomato aspic, and I didn't really like where this conversation or this book was headed. I looked at the title:
"Being Dead is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral"
Well, this might be okay after all. We all know that gracious entertaining is my aspiration. Any gracious entertaining. And in the South, a funeral is one of the biggest social occasions of your, ahem, life.
The cover includes a nod from Jill Conner Browne, The Sweet Potato Queen. (A must-read if you are from the South.) The book really covers the funeral/church/menus from Greenville, MS, which is in the Delta. The Delta has it's own vibe. Elvis came from the Delta. So did Muddy Waters. No wonder I've never heard of tomato aspic. I'm from South Mississippi. The Delta is in North Mississippi. But the jist of it is all the same: Funerals are important and our rituals are the same - even if the food isn't.
Anyway, I've started reading it and there are some seriously highlight-worthy passages. Here are a few of my favorites so far (and they are sooooo true!):
Polishing silver is the Southern lady's version of grief therapy.
We're a people with a strong sense of community, and being dead is no impediment to belonging to it. We won't forget you because you have up and died. We may even like you better and visit you more often.
There are a few fortunate families who don't have to worry about their future resting places because they still have private family cemetaries on plantations. .......There are few things considered nicer than having your own cemetary.
Southern women always want to look their best - even if they happen to be dead.
All these jewels were in Chapter 1! Chapter 2 is titled Methodist Ladies vs. Episcopal Ladies - now that should be good!
Oh yeah - here's the recipe for Tomato Aspic, in case you were wondering.
4 c. tomato juice
6 slices lemon
3 slices yellow onion, in rings
2 bay leaves
tops of one bunch celery
several whole cloves
3 tablespoons horseradish
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
4 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
Put tomato juice, lemon slices, onion slices, bay leaves, celery tops, and cloves in a heavy pot and simmer for 20 minutes, more or less. While this simmers, mix together the gelatin and vinegar. Strain the tomato juice mixture and add the gelatin mixure. Stir until the gelatin has dissolved. No lumps! Add horseradish, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and worcestershire sauce.
Lightly oil a 6-cup mold. Pour the mixture into the mold and chill until firm, several hours or overnight. Overnight is best. Unmold on a bed of greens. If the aspic will not come out of the pan easily, run a knife around the edge or dip the pan into a sink of hot water - just for a second!
I think it's served with shrimp. Maybe crackers? I don't know. Anyone ever heard of it before? If I ever go to a funeral in the Delta, I'm going to look for it.
1 comment:
Forget the tomato aspic! At my funeral leave out the gelatin and vinegar, forget cooking it, add vodka instead and pass it around.
Post a Comment