I've spent too much time in the Galveston/Ike Forums. We are not the only ones who cannot understand why the mayor is being so tight-lipped. People are upset. People want in. They want to "see and flee". I don't blame them. Not knowing is the hardest part.
I firmly believe that citizens must unite and stand up for what is right. I don't think there's enough of that going on these days.
I come by all this honestly.
(hold on, here comes a story from my childhood)
My mother, a single mother, was upset about her utility rates. She joined a group called the CCA, Concerned Citizens Association, when I was about 10 years old, that went up against the utility companies. The things I remember are passing out flyers at the local zoo and park during a campaign rally for a local official, Trent Lott. I remember stuffing envelopes at the CCA meetings. I remember the people who banded together to get the issue out. I remember that they won. Rates were not increased.
The power of the people - undeniable. An important lesson at an early age. An important lesson for all Americans.
Granddaddy and Mama left already.
I don't know if anyone will show up to donate supplies.
I don't know if anyone will follow them to Galveston.
I don't know if they will get in.
I DO know that they are going to stand up for themselves and their rights.
2 comments:
I hope your mama finds things high and dry. I found a picture of the old house on Elm ... water half-way up the garage doors and the big tree on the side leaning against the deck.
Way to go Mama and Granddaddy!
Bless you for thinking of others before even knowing what YOUR situation was to be! I am so proud of you both.
-mama yoderian
Post a Comment