Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Confederate Rose

In my backyard we have a plant that we called the mystery plant for the longest time. We didn't really know what it was when we first moved into Fireside. It is deceptive - big fig-like leaves; blooms that start off looking like a camelia then end like a sort of hibiscus; blooms in the spring and fall. Mama kept looking at and looking at it, trying to figure out what it was. Then finally it came to her one day - it could be a confederate rose - but the only ones she ever saw had white blooms that turned to red in the evening. (From what I've read, it was said to be symbolic of the blood shed on the Confederate battlefields.) I know that the plant originated in China and grows heartily throughout the South.

My Confederate Rose blooms light pink then all the blooms turn dark pink in the evening.

Here is mine in the morning:


Here it is again, in the evening (See? No light pink blooms. Is that cool or what?):


Then it goes back to light pink again in the morning. Here's a close-up view of the pretty petals:


I love this plant so much that I actually moved the pool 4 inches to the left so I could better center the water feature under it's branches.

I was worried that Hurricane Ike would take it down, but as you can see, she weathered the storm and has bounced back stronger than ever before. She is a member of the hibiscus family, so I'll plant some of her little cousins when the landscaper starts next week. She is the centerpiece of my landscape design. Everything is being planted to enhance her, and to allow us to enjoy her.

Enjoy your day - I'm going to fish the fallen blooms out of the pool now. (You know it can't be all sunshine and rainbows!)

No comments:

How many have Peeped here?