Thursday, February 26, 2009

I took a bloggy holiday yesterday. No, I didn't have a Mardi Gras hangover (in years past I would have). Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.

We observe Lent at our house. I try to follow the Lenten basics each year - I "give up" something and don't eat meat on Friday. I also "add" something each year like a bible verse at dinner or a charity project.

For the last few years I've given up daytime television for Lent. For me, watching TV is my HUGE blackhole of time. The day is sucked away by Fox Business, The Price is Right, Young and the Restless, and the afternoon movie de jour.

I find myself standing in front of the tv looking for a good movie to watch. I justify it since I'm folding clothes or unloading the dishwasher. I'm multi-tasking. Yeah, that's it, multi-tasking.

You're asking yourself, "Since when is 'watching tv' a task?"

I know. I know. I am weak. I am easily entertained.

So for Lent, I will again give up daytime television. I will make a big Lent dent in my to-do list. Who knows? I might even finish doing the taxes.

7 comments:

Mandi Shandi said...

I am Southern Baptist so I did not grow up observing Lent. I have been praying about making a change and observing Lent in years to come. I think from what I have read it is a wonderful practice that can teach self-discipline and restraint. I sure need a lot more of that! I am one of those that always give into my whims. I could easily give up daytime TV, but lets not even discuss coffee or Tea!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

"Lent dent" LOL!!
Good luck in your task!

Anonymous said...

No TV...that would be easy for me, but don't even talk about giving up the computer!

You're on for tomorrow's first Friday Spotlight. Should be fun! Thanks again for participating. It seems to be your week on the domestic fringe.

-FringeGirl

Nana said...

Giving up t.v. would be a hard one for me too. Visiting from the Domestic Fringe. Liked your interview

Mindy said...

I came over from the Domestic Fringe. I can see that I'll be back. I love hats! ~Mindy

The Texas Woman said...

GringeFirl sent me. I understand about the TV. My ears ring constantly so I keep SOMETHING on all the time to dull the noise...even if I don't watch it but I am a Fox News junky. They say the word Alert and I'm all over the TV!

The Texas Woman

Anonymous said...

raise practicein commissioned kevinpm blogdigs supsup attachment underneath patent joshipura feedburner
lolikneri havaqatsu

How many have Peeped here?