Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tax Tantrum Tuesday

The Domestic Fringe is sponsoring Tantrum Tuesday. I'm not usually the tantrum type, except when it comes to politics. And rudeness. The President's cabinet choices and their lack of paying taxes has me upset today.

My tantrum today is an echo of Is It Friday Yet?'s post.

I am all for tax avoidance. It's legal. As long as you do it in the legal ways.

I'm not for holding politicians to a different standard than the people who pay their salaries. Why should ole Tommy and Timmy get to apologize, get confirmed and continue to screw up the government? If we didn't pay our taxes, the IRS would fine, penalize and rack up interest charges against us - the commoners. We wouldn't be able to say shyly, "Oh, I'm sorry. I made a mistake." Can you say government seizure of your assets?

I'm as tired of paying taxes as anyone. I think there has to be a better system, but as Big Daddy always says when I start to rant about a federal sales tax (which I am for because I believe that if you consume you should pay - whether you're here illegally, on a green card, a visa, or just passing through the airport on your way to TimBukTu), "The tax system didn't get the way it is by accident. Powerful people over the years have paid for it to be this way."

I hate it when Big Daddy is right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tantrum. Glad you linked. We just did our taxes last night...oh, I'm not a happy girl, but I don't think the IRS would be forgiving with me if I forgot to pay them.

-FringeGirl

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Nice tantrum. We too were a little blown away with the "interest" that Daschle supposedly had to pay for his "mistake". What was it, like .1%?

(I'm terrible at math and have totally forgotten the real numbers anyway, so don't quote me on that.)

How many have Peeped here?