Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wisdom from Romans

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

This is my new go-to verse for hard times. Our priest gave a sermon on this verse on Sunday. It is comforting to be reminded that God has a plan for us. That He is on our side. Whether we have problems with money, family, illness......whatever, His plan is divine and for all good.

I saw this verse in action yesterday. You will remember that the baking element in the top oven of my double oven burned out. I decided to fix it myself yesterday. A few tools, a trip to the appliance parts store, and $50 later, my oven works perfectly. My oven? She is an old gal, near 23 years old, but she came from good stock. She bounced right back and is cookin' hot again.

The hardest part was convincing the parts guy that I could install it myself.
I'm a college educated person.
I know where my breaker box is and how to use it.
I know the right-tight, left-loose rule.
The wires are sticking out of the back of the oven enough for me to reach them. How do you think I got this old element out?
Yes, the element matches closely enough. This is an oven. It is not the space shuttle.
Yes, I have the right tools and the parts to put it back in. I used a ziploc bag to put the old screws in until I get home. I don't think they can escape from it. It's a high-security ziploc.

The best part of this whole project was that Skibbie helped me with all this. She held the flashlight and unscrewed the tiny screws when I couldn't get my finger around it (or my arms were too tired to reach into the oven. We won't go into how awkward it is to stand on a stool and lean into the top oven. I want you to come back so that's a mental picture we should all avoid.)

God has a plan. I was meant to fix that oven and have my daughter help. She was meant to see that she can fix things. To see that her mom can fix things. And that the $200 we saved by doing it ourselves will go to a better purpose. Yes, God has a plan.

I just wish He gave stock tips.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You GO Girl!!
I admire a gal who can fix things!

Mandi Shandi said...

Way to go! What a great example to set for your daughter. I definitely agree that God ALWAYS has a plan, thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you. I still love the parts guy though for showing concern for my big sister. Skibbie has such an awesome role model in you....Delaweird

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

Good work getting the job done. There's something satisfying about doing a job yourself, isn't there?

Great verse! I needed it this morning.

-FringeGirl

How many have Peeped here?