I've spent two days going to various dentists offices. Yesterday, I had a crown that was loose repaired. Turns out that the tooth under it is in pretty bad shape and I may need an implant.
An implant? Isn't that for old people? People who don't brush?
The rest of the bad news is that implants take for.ev.er. to finish. The dental hygienist sugar-coated it by telling me it could take up to three months to complete all the steps for the repair until the check-out lady let it slip that it could be a year. A year?
I told Big Daddy that I might as well live up to the stereotype......sell all my shoes, get pregnant and let the tooth fall out. He suggested I get all my teeth pulled and get dentures - "it would be cheaper" was his reasoning.
This morning, I took Skibbie for her first orthodontic appointment. She needs braces, but she needs to grow a little more so they can't start her regimen until this summer.
Dodged that bullet for a little while.
Big Daddy's response to this one? "How much?"
My answer: "They didn't tell me and I didn't ask."
Ignorance is bliss.
After all this dental talk, I really think people in old-timey pictures didn't smile because their teeth were bad. There was no floss, no minty-whitening-sparkle gel-fluoride-plaque fighting- toothpaste, no battery-operated-singing toothbrush. Just baking soda. And heaven forbid if you had a bad tooth. I've seen enough westerns to know that being drunk on whiskey is not my anesthetic of choice when having a tooth pulled (excuse me, extracted).
I wonder if I can get insurance on the mouth? Not dental insurance, but insurance that will pay off to my peeps when I kick the bucket, cause goodness sakes, our money is definitely where my mouth is!
4 comments:
Fantastic post!
I'm in the middle stages of an implant also. Having to wait 6 months before the actual tooth is "implanted". I've had the "thingy' put in my jaw bone, just waiting on it to heal....doesn't all this sounds just lovely...how 'bout lunch now?!?
I feel for you. I hate getting dental work, and mine has only been bracings and fillings up to this point. Big Daddy's responses to the situation sound remarkably like my husbands would be!
By the way, I am so super excited to get my apron. I am gonna use it for crafting because I have been wanting a half apron for a long time. Can't wait to get it!
Everybody's talkin about their teeth lately. It's disturbing me. I'm way overdue for a trip to the dentist and I'm shakin in my shoes.
Good luck with your implant!
-FringeGirl
I know what you mean. I feel like I've spent the past two weeks in the dentist. I'm tired of spending my money there! Not to mention the teeny tiny cavity my daughter had. Anyway, good look with everything.
Post a Comment