Today, I'm talking about my sister, Delaweird.
Delaweird is 16 months younger than I am, so I don't ever remember a time when she wasn't around. Growing up, she and I shared a room and a double bed until I graduated from high school.
At school she grew up in my shadow. I was the goody-two-shoes, tight-lipped, straight A, teacher pleaser. So when Delaweird came to class, the teachers expected a mini-me. Oh no! Delaweird was a rebel. She liked to socialize. She played music. She had a ton of friends. Her grades? Not as good as mine, but not because she wasn't as smart as me. She was just too busy talking to take notes. School was a social event for her. For me, it was a j.o.b.
When I went to college, our family moved to a new state. For Delaweird, it meant a new high school for her senior year. That would have been devastating to most peeps. Was she deterred? No way. She blossomed into an uber-rebel. She took up smoking cigarettes, skipped school to go to the beach and layout between the dunes in her bra and panties (I have the body of a ballerina. She has the body of a swimsuit model.), and her grades slid even further. But she had fun!
After high school, she did a few years at junior college, joined the Airforce, traveled most of Europe and then married a cute guy in Delaware. They have a cutsey little boy I call Taz. She has a great job, sells Lia Sophia, keeps a house that could be featured in Country Living, volunteers for multiple charitable organizations, speaks 5 languages and bakes. And by the way, she can shoot and kill you at 300 yards with an AK47.
Delaweird and I are planning a Sisters and Cousins vacation this summer. We are going to Colonial Williamsburg. I'm planning to drive from Big State to Virginia. So after all these years, we will again be sharing a room, even if it's only in a hotel.
Love you, Miss you and Can't wait to see you Delaweird!
2 comments:
Where do you come up with this stuff? I have a sister that is not quite 2 years younger than me too, and we are the best of friends. I hope you all have a wonderful time. Sounds like a blast!
Your sister certainly sounds like an amazing woman. Your vacation should be a blast - hopefully not a blast from her gun. ;-)
-FringeGirl
Post a Comment