I can't take it anymore.
With the peeps at home, I'm on constant screen patrol.....Wii, Computer, TV.....
I caved in and let them watch a bizarre show last night, Little Miss Perfect, on WE Channel.
They loved it.
It's a reality-show-poses-as-documentary about the world of little girl's beauty pageants. I'm not totally against the pageant circuit (I competed in Junior Miss in high school so I can't cast stones). There are good things that girls get out of pageants, like poise and the ability to step in front of a crowd. I just can't get past the makeup on these wee ones. Does your 4 year old really need a spray tan and Dallas hair? Shouldn't she be judged on her natural beauty? She's 4. It's not like she needs concealer for her pimples.
The most concerning part for me was this:
My biggest fear is to turn into this mom. Not in pageants, but in dance with Action. His competition is this weekend.
He's been taking private lessons.
I've gotten his hair cut.
I bought new pants for the competition.
I videotaped his last practice for his review, like a coach replaying the game tapes.
I questioned his partner's lack of hairband at their last practice.
I wondered whether we should have booked a room at the hotel so we will have a quiet place during the competition.
Have I lost my mind? Am I really turning into the stage mom? Am I living vicariously through him? I just realized that I don't even know what they will win, if they win.
Someone please stop me. WHO AM I?
p.s. I actually know one of the mothers in the show. I almost fell off the couch when I saw her. Skibbie and her daughter used to compete in gymnastics at the same gym.
6 comments:
Best wishes to Action in his competition this weekend!
Ok, aside from my mother-in-law, I'm not sure I've seen hair THAT big before. Those little girls are certainly dolled up. I just don't think I could do that to my daughter.
-FringeGirl
Action dances? He is gonna make a great husband one day! Wish him good luck. I'm sure he will do great. About the show, I have not seen it but have heard about it. That preview was a little creepy to me.
That preview was a tad scarey!
Hope your son does well and has fun! It should be fun.
Oh, you crack me up! Good luck to your son.
Wowie! That video ... scary.
I wanted to tell you that I gave you the Honest Scrap Award. Drop by my blog to pick it up.
Post a Comment