I am pretty sure that I have a punctuation addiction. I am a comma lovin', run-on sentence writin', dash-abusin' blogger. And I use a lot of these ".......", and I don't even know what they are called. I also have issues with verb tense, but that's a different can of worms.
I wonder if there's a 12-step program for my addiction. Punctuation Abusers Anonymous. PAA's program:
1. I admit that I have become powerless over the comma—my writing has become unmanageable.
2. I believe that a Microsoft Power greater than myself can restore my writing to sanity.
3. I made a decision to turn my punctuation abuse over to the care of Word.
4. I made a searching and fearless editing of my previous blog posts.
5. I admitted to you, my fellow bloggers, the exact nature of my horrid abuse of punctuation.
6. I am entirely ready to have Word remove all these defects of punctuation abuse.
7. I humbly asked Word to edit my writing and make suggestions by unmercilessly highlighting my errors.
8. I made a list of all blog readers, all 4 of them, I have offended and insulted and made drop their heads in agony, and promise to write better in the future.
9. I am trying to make direct amends to my bloggy buddies wherever possible, except when to do so would aggravate them or others who link over to my blog.
10. I am continuing to take personal inventory and study remedial English.
11. I am seeking to reduce the number of run-on sentences and stop the stream of rambling.
12. I am carrying the message that punctuation abuse is wrong, but don't count on me to edit your stuff too. I am barely responsible for my own issues.
I know there was a time when I could write with the correct use of the comma. I have high school and college term papers with A's and B's to prove it.
What happened to me? How did I get like this?
Too much business correspondence? Too many informal emails? Too many bulleted powerpoint presentations?
If I start spelling every word phonetically, please stage an intervention!
2 comments:
You made me laugh!
They are called ellipsis. The ...
I have a fetish for them. If it makes you feel any better, I'm such a poor speller that I write with Dictionary.com open.
I love me some commas! (I realize that is not correct grammar by the way.)
Post a Comment