Thursday, December 25, 2008

This is the day that the lard hath made


Merry Christmas to y'all!

Our Christmas day is always filled with presents, butter and heavy cream. Each year, I make my traditional breakfast casserole, dubbed the lard casserole by the HIE a few years ago because I forgot to drain the sausage. It has sausage, egg, cheese, butter and bread in it. It's yummy. And buttery. And fatty.

My Christmas menu wasn't exactly low-cal either. I cooked two kinds of potatoes (mashed and sweet potato), corn pudding and green bean casserole. I don't know if a green bean is still considered a vegetable if it's covered in creamy soup and enriched with milk and fried onions. We also had a big discussion about corn. Is corn really a vegetable since it turns to sugar during digestion? Then if you mix the corn with 6 eggs and heavy whipping cream, is it healthy at all? Nanan (pronounced Na-Nan), Big Daddy's mother, just couldn't handle all the butter, so she made a green salad. She ate both kinds of potatoes to help balance it out.

I also made a traditional pecan (pronounced peh-kahn) pie. I was pleased with it. And if I weren't so full of cream, butter, pecans and pastry, I'd download the photos from my camera and show them to you.

Craftier will be here tomorrow. I'm going to enlist her help in completing my gingerbread house. No, I didn't finish it before Christmas. I've extended the deadline to Epiphany. Hey, there's 12 days of Christmas. Thankfully they won't all be full of lard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your family photo! It's wonderful and you all look great.

How many have Peeped here?