Why I like going up North:
1. My family lives there. Delaweird and her crew, Mr. and Mrs. Cutillowitz, and the Funniest Cousins. I love and miss them all so very much. I long for the days when families lived close to one another. Maybe we will someday, but it must be in the South.
2. Trains. We really need more trains in the South. My peeps would take a train over an airplane any day of the week.
3. Snow. I get to see it, but don't have to live with it.
4. Wearing coats, hats and gloves all day (for a few days). I do NOT like being cold or cold weather, but it is nice to wear a coat every once in a while. For a few months in the winter, we can wear a coat in the morning, but it gets too warm to wear it all day. Sometimes it warms up so much that we even have to change into shorts by the end of the day. That makes for alot of laundry.
5. Basements.
6. Antique Stores. Mama would say that I am buying back the stuff that was stolen in the War of Northern Aggression. I say it's the best form of recycling I know. I also like to think I am somehow honoring the person who originally owned it. I am taking stewardship of something that someone once loved and cared for. Or something that someone made with their own hands. I just love antiques.
7. The Rockettes. I have seen them before, but this year's show was very special. The HIE bought tickets for all of us to see it. All ten of us. The show featured the Christmas Story with the wise men on live camels and donkeys, and a manger scene that was glorious. The look on my peeps faces told me that they were seeing the story in a new way. Could it have really been like this? All these people praising and singing before this little child? The audience was invited to sing Joy to the World. It just gave me chills. I was so happy to see that Christ and the Christmas Story was not lost in the the sea of political correctness. I was overjoyed that the Rockettes used the beautiful Radio City Music Hall to spread the good news of Christ's coming.
It was the perfect start to the Christmas Season.......with Christ and the miracle of His birth in the spotlight.
1 comment:
"Mama would say that I am buying back the stuff that was stolen in the War of Northern Aggression." - pretty funny. Glad you had a nice time in the frigid North. I too wish I lived close to my family. It stinks to have everyone so far apart.
Post a Comment