Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What happens in 2nd grade, stays in 2nd grade.

I substituted in Action's class for 2 hours yesterday while his teacher went to the annual teacher holiday luncheon. I have never done time in the class without the teacher. I've taught Junior Achievement and been a parent reader, but not ever been left In Charge of the class.

It was good experience, but left me with the feeling that I had just visited Las Vegas. Vegas is one of those places that once you've been there, you don't really need to go back.

We ate at the $1.99 buffet in the cafeteria and we caught a show, Arthur's Christmas. We gambled a little by letting more than one person go to the bathroom at a time. Then we got down to business at our conference by doing a few math worksheets that included some coloring, cutting and glueing. We saw a few kids who were "drunk" on giddiness stumbling through the halls. We, however, were able to keep our wits about us.

When the teacher came back, I was able to cash out with good reports. I left 2nd grade with Lady Luck trailing behind me, but I'm smart enough not to go against the house again. I played and won, and I won't be going back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! You make me smile. Angie

Anonymous said...

You're a brave woman! The 2nd grade is not for sissy's. Job well don. Great post. Very fun and creative.
-FringeGirl

Unknown said...

Funny! I taught second grade, so I know exactly what you mean.

How many have Peeped here?