I like Paul Harvey. There. I said it. I like his stories. I like the Dramatic..........
.........Pause.
But I'm not supposed to be talking about Paul Harvey today. I'm supposed to be telling you about my mother's best raising-your-peeps-together friend. Craftier told me that her mother once told her that the woman who you raise your peeps with will know who you really are - probably better than you know yourself. My mother's raising-your-peeps friend is Miss Jackie.
Miss Jackie and my mother met at work in the late 70's/early 80's. They were fast friends - both were divorced, working mothers barely making ends meet. Miss Jackie's peeps were all boys. My mama had all girls. They were both from small towns in Mississippi (though not the same one).
I can't tell you any particular stories about Mama and Miss Jackie because none of good ones have been repeated to me. If I ever hear any of them (I don't think I'm old enough to hear them yet), I know the good stories will be about how they went out dancing one night and met two pilots. One story will probably involve how they finally got one of the ex's to pay child support after threatening him with bodily harm (you can imagine this story involves a handgun and "private parts" if you want. I do.) And I'm guessing there's probably a story that involves pooling resources to make supper, mortgage payments, or some activity that one of us peeps was involved in. I know that one story will be about how they comforted one another through failed relationships, offering a shoulder to cry on and a tissue to wipe tear-stained cheeks.
One of them was Thelma. The other was Louise.
Miss Jackie is a unique woman. After her sons were grown and married, she was called by the Lord to do mission work. She sold all her worldly possessions and moved to one of the most dangerous parts of Africa to witness and spread the Good News of the Lord. She can tell you stories about ungodly atrocities then revive you with stories about triumphs of the human heart and soul. The kinds of stories that give you chill bumps. About two years after entering the mission field, she fell ill with a terrible intestinal disease. She had to return to the United States for treatment. She suffered through a long recovery, but is now healthy. She is still in the US at this time, caring for her elderly mother.
I saw Miss Jackie this past spring. She still has a dry wit and matter-of-fact attitude toward life. She will flat out tell you what she thinks about any issue - political, religious or other. She is wise. She knows where her destiny lies. She knows that with the grace and forgiveness of Our Savior, she, and any one who chooses Him, will be just fine.
And in the end, that's what Mama and Miss Jackie's relationship is all about - making sure the other is just fine.
2 comments:
That was SO sweet. I'm glad your mom had Miss Jackie. We all need a friend...even David had Jonathan.
"She knows that with the grace and forgiveness of Our Savior, she, and any one who chooses Him, will be just fine." -so well spoken.
-FringeGirl
Thanks for visiting my blog!
What a beautiful pic of your peeps at Christmas!
Post a Comment