Saturday, January 24, 2009

Can I take a nap now? (Or Bridal Brunch Aftermath)

Let me give you all some advice.....

If you are planning an event in your home that starts at 11 am that involves cooking anything other than toast, call the caterer. Also, make your husband and peeps go to a friend's house the night before. Forbid them to return until you have called with the "all clear".

If you don't follow my advice, you could have your young boy running his remote controlled car into the dining room and between the legs of elderly ladies while they are trying to scoop grits from your lovely buffet. OR you could have your girl arrive from a soccer game in the middle of the festivities and you will have to step outside to speak to the coach, who wants to give you the full color-commentary highlight reel, while your guests are looking for you. OR you could have your husband yelling at you from your computer asking how to buy movie tickets online while you are trying not to burn the lard casserole.

Just promise that you will take my advice.

I managed to take two. TWO. photos. I tried to get a shot of the desserts. I ended up making a pound cake, dipping strawberries, making lemon bars and double-chocolate brownies. I supplemented with a plate of truffles (They were a gift. I like to share.) I also made pasta salad (that's what's in the bowl) and a mandarin and raspberry salad with homemade lemon poppy seed dressing (that's what's in the cruet - the dressing I mean. Not the salad.).



This photo captures the drink table. I ended up with one table for cold drinks and one for coffee service. I had planned on serving several cold drinks, but ended up with water, punch and mimosas. I had decided that I was definitely serving punch because I wanted to use the punch bowl - it's not one of those everyday use items, ya know. You gotta take advantage of these punch-worthy opportunities when you get 'em.



The punch bowl belonged to Big Daddy's great-grandmother. It was a gift to her on her wedding day in 1914. Her brother, Charlie, gave it to her. Charlie was a fun-loving gambler who lived paycheck-to-paycheck. He won the punch bowl and cups on a punch board (similar to a lottery ticket). I'm not sure if he was looking to win something for her wedding gift, or if he won it and thought "a-ha! wedding gift". Anyway, it was passed to all of her children at one time or another and eventually ended up with Big Daddy's grandmother, who we call Nanny. Nanny is 89. Nanny gave the punch bowl to Big Daddy shortly before we got married. Actually, she insisted that he come and get it from her house. He was fresh out of college and didn't really want it. But, Nanny is wise and knew that he would be glad to have it later.

By the time Big Daddy got it (after all the years of sharing it around the family), there was only the bowl, stand and 3 cups left. I held on to these pieces for years, never really able to use the bowl because I only had three cups. With the invention of the internet, ebay, and google, in recent years I have been able to research the pattern. It is carnival glass and the pattern is Northwood Memphis, but is sometimes called the "Dolls Eye" pattern. This pattern was manufactured in several colors, but the clear seems to be the most rare (who woulda thunk it!) Over the past four years, I have been able to find six more cups, bringing the count to 9. I would love to have 12 total.

Looking back at the photo of the punch bowl, I am realizing that those orange slices floating in the punch look like big boobs. Next time I'll put 3 orange slices.

I'm blogging about orange slice boobs now. Oh brother, I really do need a nap!

3 comments:

Nina in Portugal said...

If you thinking about big orange boobs...maybe big daddy DOES need to take you to bed!

Kidding...

Everything looked lovely...great job!!

Anonymous said...

Your booby punch looks wonderful...EVERYTHING looks and sound wonderful.

It's so nice that you have your husband's grandmother's punch bowl. So special. I'm sure she'd be delighted about it's use at this party.

Nice job! Go get some rest.
-FringeGirl

Unknown said...

You're so fancy.

How many have Peeped here?