Monday, January 19, 2009

Do you have a MUG shot?

What does your coffee cup say about you? What's your "mug"shot?

My mug says a lot about me. And because of that, I'm particular about the vessel that holds my morning cup o' joe. I've had one tried-and-true coffee cup for a really, really, really long time. It was given to my by the ONLY person in the world who could have given it to me - my best growing-up friend, Ellen. She gave it to me when we were seniors in high school. I have moved it from childhood home to college apartment to the parade of married-life homes. It sums up what it is to be me - and Ellen certainly knows that girl. In one quick-witted phrase, it puts my biggest insecurity into it's proper perspective.



Yes, I was the flat-chested girl in high school. Still am (flat-chested, not in high school). You'd think pregnancies and nursing babies would bring boobs, but no. So, the mug is still relevant after all these years. I use it almost everyday. It's amazing that the paint is still on it. (And don't you love how the girl on the mug looks like she's wearing a training bra?)

Anyway, I love this mug. I love Ellen. I love Ellen for giving it to me. I love her for embracing my insecurity and saying, "Look, if this is your biggest problem, be thankful."

Amen. Amen.

I will have to admit that I have cheated on my beloved boob mug. When Action came home from his first Scout campout, he brought me this mug. (Leave it to Action to find a gift shop in the middle of the woods. Who knew the Park Rangers had a gift shop?!?)


It's a lovely bluebird. I don't use it very often because it requires h.a.n.d.w.a.s.h.i.n.g.


Then Skibbie bought this mug with her own money at the school book fair and gave it to me for Mother's Day.


It is a little larger than a regular mug. It is still in the daily rotation, especially if my boob mug is in the dishwasher.


Then there's my most recent mug acquisition. It sums up what my daily life has become. If I don't have too much to do every. single. day. then I end up hanging out. There's always tomorrow, right?



...And I got it on SALE - $1.99 at Kirklands.

What does your favorite mug say? Is it your philosophy? Something that just makes you laugh? Something that puts life in perspective?

After all, things could be worse... You could put your bra on backwards and it could fit better!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Your bra mug cracked me up...I love it.

My mug is a vintage floral & butterfly design. I found a set of four at a yard sale and I LOVE them. No words...maybe I'm lucky. I like silence when I wake up. I'm just not a morning person.

-FringeGirl

Anonymous said...

I don't drink a lot of coffee at home (I know!) but I drink Starbucks at work. Often. I'm not sure what that white and green paper cup says about me. Maybe that I'm a sucker who spends way too much on a cup of milk and espresso. Sigh.

How many have Peeped here?